And Now to Something Completely Different

Icon Desktop TransporterA year ago we were looking for a reliable remote control solution that we could use for managing our display-less servers. We found Desktop Transporter — and we love it. In fact, we loved it so much that we immediately called Daniel Stødle in Norway, the developer, and talked with him about how to make Desktop Transporter even better. And now we’re selling it! Isn’t it cool? (speaking with the famous words of Steve J.)

Learn more about Desktop Transporter 2.0 here!

9 Responses to “And Now to Something Completely Different”

1. DarylF2 says:

This looks really nice, but it would be useful for the product page to do a better job differentiating it from the alternatives, especially the free (but somewhat slow) VNC.

Also, does one need to buy a separate copy for every Mac (making the “entry” price really $60)?

2. Mark says:

So how does this compare with VNC or Timbuktu? I know it is your own product so obviously it is of course “way better” 🙂 . . . but seriously, what are the advantages over VNC (which is free) or Timbuktu (which is expensive but really powerful). Thanks!

3. webmaster says:

You’re right. I have just updated the product page. Please, have a look and tell me what you think!

4. DarylF2 says:

Much better!!

I still have a few unanswered questions.

1. How well does it work over dial-up (my Mom doesn’t have Cable Modem or DSL access where she lives)?

2) How do I “find” a computer to control (say my Mom’s Mac) over the Internet, especially when that remote Mac is owned by a computer novice (one of the best uses for this software is to support a novice user)?

5. Markus says:

I would like to use it for my head-less Mini. I checked to doc but did not find an answer. If I start desktoptransporterd as system service, would I get the login screen when no user is logged in?

Thanks,
    /Markus.

6. FultonKBD says:

If $30 buys you 2 seats does $60 buy you 4 seats?

7. webmaster says:

Markus: Yes, you can accomplish that using launchd.

8. webmaster says:

FultonKBD: Yes, one license covers two Macs, like with this pair of radios you buy for your children 🙂

9. webmaster says:

DarylF2: It’ll work over DSL, but it will be slooow. To make it available on the net as well as for finding it, you’ll have to reconfigure your Mom’s router as well as set up a dynamic DNS service like dyndns.org.