DEVONthink 2.0 spotlight: Interactive access via browser

DEVONthink Pro Office 2.0 – what’s happening? Well, we hope to release very soon the first public beta but in the meantime here are a few prelims to whet the appetite!

This week: DEVONthink Pro Office 2.0 — built-in web server completely revamped.

While version 1.x allowed you to only search the one open database with a search-engine-like web page, version 2.0 will allow you to actually browse and interact with your database from within a dynamic web interface. Besides browsing, displaying and downloading documents you can use DEVONthink 2.0’s advanced full text search and use ‘see also’ to find related documents.

Of course, this new feature is fully compatible with all modern web browsers on the Mac as well as on Windows and Linux. So, to share your databases simply turn on DEVONthink Pro Office 2.0’s web server and generate an URL for authorised access

Check back soon for further details on DEVONthink 2.0 …

12 Responses to “DEVONthink 2.0 spotlight: Interactive access via browser”

1. darwin says:

Will DT 2.0 be Universal binary?

@darwin: DEVONthink has been a universal binary for nearly two years now, so, yes, DEVONthink 2.0 will be universal, too.

3. darwin says:

fine thanks.

4. Marc says:

I’m looking forward to it. There’s no doubt you guys have been very slack in regards to keeping DevonThink fresh.

I mostly need to keep scientific papers in my database and have shifted my whole stuff to Papers a few months back. Yes, it is far more limited in what it does as it serves a much more focused purpose. But it does it very well and I am guessing I am not alone in my use of DevonThink for this purpose.

It’ll be interesting to see whether I’m going to be tempted to move my stuff back to DevonThink 2.0

You guys have a good product (with a fair user interface) at your hands and I am sure you are good spirited. Still, I felt quite left alone with an aging product that seemed to have received little maintenance over the last years.

Here’s hoping your bringing DevonThink up to speed – and keep it there!

5. Karen says:

@Marc While I am certainly looking forward to DT 2.0 with impatience (I wouldn’t be reading this blog if I wasn’t!), I would disagree strongly that DT 1 has received little maintenance. The developers have been very diligent in squashing bugs and worked hard to keep scanners integrated (despite Apple’s breaking things).

For comparison, look at what Filemaker has done with Bento. They upgraded from version 1.0 to 2.0 in less than a year, no 1.1 version to fix the bugs, and are charging their customers full price for an upgrade.

6. Sergio says:

@mark :
    I use both Papers and DEVONthink Pro. Papers creates a library of handled PDF’s and stores them in the Finder, using a user defined taxonomy. In DEVONthink pro, I “index” this library. So I got the best of the two worlds: I can match and discover papers in Papers, and I can do associative searches in DTP.

7. Nick says:

@Sergio
    That is a wonderful idea. It’s so simple. I really like how papers handles PDF’s like with automatic naming and at the same time using the searches with DTP. It’s the best of both worlds.

8. Tommy Weir says:

DevonThink occupies a very special place in my workflow, a trusted one at that and your steady careful approach to releases is much appreciated by me.

I’m looking forward to 2.0 alright, and the web interface sounds exciting.

Looking forward to the Beta.

9. Dan Byler says:

Looking forward to the beta!

10. Christophe says:

Looking forward to the new version as well.
    Regarding the availability of the data on the web, I keep thinking that Devon team should seriously consider a way to host and sync (part of) them on a dedicated web workplace. In deed, having a web server running permanently on a domestic computer is not so so comfortable.
    Hope the team is thinking at that as well.

11. Ian says:

That sounds like a great feature. I am looking forward to the beta.

While I use DT Pro on my laptop, while I’m at work, I could fire up the web server for sharing and collaboration, and then just turn it off when I leave for the day.

@Sergio: That’s a great idea. I’m going to give that a try. Thanks for sharing.

12. Gordon says:

No matter what you do, somebody complains, but I’d much rather the Devon folks take the time to get it right, rather than promising all kinds of vaporware, rushing it to market and then letting users suffer the consequences.

It seems like most of the better software companies just quietly go about their work, issuing minor updates (for free) and then putting out the major upgrades when they’re really ready. I don’t want to play beta tester unawares with my valuable data, anyway!