DEVONthink and DEVONnote: Second public beta

Just in time we have released the second public beta of DEVONthink (and DEVONnote). This beta comes with many enhancements, e.g. simple PDF editing abilities (splitting files, merging files, copy/paste for PDF pages), a new RSS preferences panel, and a more responsive web interface that now also displays QuickLook previews if possible. In addition, DEVONthink Pro Office nearly also came with a brand new OCR engine but technical difficulties with embedding the engine properly forced us to delay this feature but we will deliver it as soon as we and ABBYY are able to find the problem. Read more about the update on our News page.

We will continue to further improve DEVONthink and DEVONnote 2.0 and will release the next public beta until the end of February, 2009, … or earlier.

16 Responses to “DEVONthink and DEVONnote: Second public beta”

1. Guntis says:

New OCR engine? Wow! I have the fondest memories of ABBYY FineReader from my PC days. It’s very good engine (maybe the best?!), and I look forwaqrd to see it on my Mac! 🙂

2. François Mottaz says:

I’m a bit baffled by your decision to release the the new Preview without the OCR engine and without notice before installing I rely heavily on this feature and I am now left stranded. Sorry this first comment sounds a bit disgruntled for an otherwise fabulous product which will indeed change my life and work habits.

3. Chris says:

Wow way to render the release useless without the OCR engine.

4. Christian says:

Great! Will Abby bring OCR for Japanese along? Abbyy seems to able to do that but will it be part of Devonthink? Would be wonderful as I have lots of Japanese stuff 😉

5. Reid Parkinson says:

I’m very, very angry, and I don’t flame often.

I own DEVONthinkPro Office. Yesterday I upgraded to your Beta 2, which doesn’t support OCR. Today I have an URGENT need for OCR—-on saturday, which is when these situations usually happen:-) “No problem” I thought, “I’ll just download the earlier 1.x version from Devon’s website. I can’t. You’ve got us all following along with your betas with no way to backtrack to the earlier versions if the betas are half-assed, which this one is. This is unbelievable stupid, and shows no regard for your customers and their situations, especially when they are following you in good faith.

You have my email address. Please respond to me with a way to Devonthink Pro Office ASAP.

Reid Parkinson
    reid@parkinson.com

Gentlemen, please see my other post about the reason why we had to release last Friday but leave OCR *temporarily* out.

7. Nigel Spier M.D. says:

Ditto! Very angry and disappointed. Unbelievably irresponsible business decision. A shame because you have a great product. But this kind of stuff completely shakes the foundations of your customer base who have been following your beta progress in good faith. Bad planning, bad timing and bad communication. A perfect recipe for loosing brand loyalty. Wow!

Nigel: Please see my other post. We had the choice between pest and cholera, I am afraid.

9. Nigel Spier M.D. says:

Well then you should have warned us before you told us to drink the water (to continue your analogy). Just fix it. Fast. Please.

@Nigel: We tried until the very last minute to get the OCR to work and we gave up Friday afternoon when we just HAD to release. I apologize for this. We could have decided earlier to give up for the public beta 2, agreed.

11. Keith Kendrick says:

Hi Eric, I just wanted to let you know that, although unfortunate, your predicament is certainly understandable, and you’ve done a very nice job of communicating the details. You are not responsible for our decisions to use a beta release as if it were finalized. It seems that you and your team are working very hard to get a finalized, stable version out as soon as possible – thank you for that, and thank you for continuing to develop an ever more excellent software package. Best regards, Keith

12. John Finch says:

Beta means Beta gentlemen. Stop whining and let these guys get on with their job. For those who don’t know, Beta means unfinished, possibly unstable and certainly not to be ‘relied’ upon for serious work.

13. Luke R. says:

I agree that many who use this software don’t understand what “beta” means. Should have stuck with 1.5 if you didn’t want potentially buggy and unfinished software, which is what “beta” is short for.

14. Tim says:

While I’m very interested in Version 2.0 and will quite likely purchase the upgrade to DT Pro Office 2.0, I’ve decided to wait until it comes out of beta. While I hope it is soon, I’m still quite happy with 1.5. It’s a part of my daily workflow.

15. Malcolm says:

Lots of comments regarding the fact that DT Pro is a beta version. But still no word on a projected date for a non-beta version. I’m sticking with 1.5 until it’s ready, but can somebody tell me how long I’ll have to wait?

@Malcolm: We have released a 2.0 as promised before Christmas 2008 and we will release the final 2.0 as soon as all missing and promised features have been implemented. We’ll keep you updated here in this blog and with every new public beta that we release.