OCR seeded to beta testers

We have finished the main work on the by-pass circumventing the bugs in the ABBYY OCR engine that kept us from releasing it to the public two weeks ago. We have just posted a beta to our beta tester group and are now preparing to release a new public beta as soon as we have received enough hopefully positive reports from our beta testers.

12 Responses to “OCR seeded to beta testers”

1. Jeff says:

Is there a time frame to expect this release?

As said in the posting, we want to give it a test run before we release it to the public. Please allow at least *some* testing of the first builds.

3. Mathew says:

Thanks for keeping us updated on this! It’s much appreciated.

4. Julien Marie says:

Nice !!! can’t wait to have my scanned files ocr’ed and indexed !!!!

5. stst says:

Great; I really appreciate your fast and accurate blog entries, very customer minded!

6. Jeffrey Sherman says:

Even though I am one of those “I want it now” people, I truly appreciate your timely updates. Agree with stst – customer service oriented company!

7. JamesR says:

Great Thanks. Does this fix the issue with being able to OCR from the scripts menu?

@JamesR: It brings back the OCR capabilities as a whole. If there was a separate issue with OCR and the scripts menu and it persists in the next public beta, please send us a bug report.

9. @JamesR: that is actually a fundamental problem it seems with Cocoa and nested AppleScript. So it hasn’t been solved (yet).

10. Rodney says:

Go ahead and throw it at us! I’m more than willing to give beta feedback to you. This enormous stack of paper beside me will certainly put it through its paces.

11. NATAN says:

Hi all, nice to have OCR again. But I must say that the new one is slower a lot than the former (mb pro late 2008, 4GO RAM). For example, no way to entitle a new doc “on the fly” in business as i used to do it formerly… is there any improvement in speed to wait for ? thanks from Paris. A.N.

@Natan: It all depends on the resolution of the original file. We also have enabled higher accuracy in this release but we will make it a choice in the final release of 2.0.