Web Tip: How to access Amazon from DEVONthink

DEVONthink has been created to collect, store, and organize any kind of information. And with AppleScript, DEVONthink Pro it is nearly highly extensible. Power user Nicole Dornseif has used both AppleScript and Python script to access the Amazon catalog. She sends an EAN, ISBN, or any search string to the script, receives the information from the Amazon servers, parses the results, and constructs a human-readable records. She then manually copies the data she is interested in to her database but this step could, of course, also be automated.

Read Nicole’s blog article explaining the script here (in German) or read Google’s attempt of an English translation here.

7 Responses to “Web Tip: How to access Amazon from DEVONthink”

1. Sebastian says:

Dear DevonThink Team,

I tried to use this python script to import books from Amazon AWS to my DT database.

Did it work for you? I can not get it running properly, there are several errors. It would be great to access Amazon’s data to use it for my research.

Any up-to-date solutions yet?

Best,
    Sebastian

This script once worked for me, yes. As the script was not written by us have you tried to contact its author?

3. Sebastian says:

I tweeted her yesterday, but she did stop working on that script years ago.

Any chances, that some of you DT/Python Experts could rewrite this beautiful piece of code to make it work again today?

No luck reaching the author?

5. Sebastian says:

I talked to the author yesterday, but she stopped working on any DT scripts.

Can we bring this beautiful piece of code back to life? It is just an enormous workflow if DT lets you combine your offline knowledge (print) with your digital stuff. E.g. when I do research, I never get the link between the data that I have stored in DT and the books that I have next to my computer. It would make so much sense for any researcher!

We are currently very busy with some other projects (e.g. the sync feature and some new products) but I have added this to my to-do list and will try to have a look when I have a spare minute.

7. Sebastian says:

Thank you Eric.

I think that this feature could be another USP of DevonThink Pro. Combining offline with online research is one of the issues, that none of the applications that i know could solve.