Tuesday Tip: Save directly to DEVONthink

Starting with public beta 5, DEVONthink offers the possibility to save any file from any application directly to the global inbox. No more saving to the Desktop and importing later.

First make sure that this function is enabled. Choose Help > Install Add-Ons, check ‘Global Inbox in Save Dialogs’ and click ‘Install’. This inserts a shortcut to the global inbox into the Finder’s sidebar. To save a document to DEVONthink now, look for the ‘Inbox’ item in the sidebar of the save dialog and select it as the location of choice. This even works when DEVONthink is not open, the document will be imported when you open the application the next time.

15 Responses to “Tuesday Tip: Save directly to DEVONthink”

1. Steve says:

Nice feature. Even better would be, if one could save to to Inbox of a designated database – not the global one.

2. rcz says:

Sounds like a wonderful feature however the “Global Inbox in Save Dialogs” is greyed out to me. I can’t select it for some reason. I have pb5 of Pro Office. Any suggestions to get this to work>

Hmm, maybe your Finder is not active, your replaced your Finder by another application, or it crashed and was not restarted properly? This feature requires the Finder to run.

4. Rajan says:

Hi Eric,

I go to help>Installed Add Ons>

Click Global Inbox in Save Dialogs

the box turns blue and a checkmark appears.

I then click Install

and nothing happens. When I go back into the menu the box is uncheck.

What am I doing wrong?

Rajan: Nothing, that’s what should happen. In the Finder, check if the Inbox now appears in the Finder’s sidebar. If it does, you can access it also from any save dialog.

6. Ivan says:

That is a cool feature. How do you guys come up with this stuff? It is impressive.

7. Rajan says:

Thanks Eric for the quick response, it works (of course!). What threw me off was the checked blue box didn’t stay checked and blue when i exited and returned to the installed add in menu.

Regards,

R

8. Shane says:

If i accidentally delete the Global Inbox from the sidebar how can I get it back?

Use “DEVONthink Pro > Install Add-Ons”.

10. James says:

The Global Inbox in Save Dialogs box is grayed out on my DevonThink Pro Install Add-ons. I can’t seem to figure out why. The finder is working. I am running Mountain Lion. Any ideas?

11. @James: Then maybe it is already correctly installed? If not please contact our support. Blog comments are bot well suited for customer support 🙂

12. Philippe says:

Great feature! Any chance it might be integrated into Path Finder?

13. Just add the folder ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox to your sidebar, an alias to it to your Desktop, etc. That’s all the magic.

14. Philippe says:

Elegant magic, including the easy to find icon. Thanks for the quick response!

15. Lawrence says:

My workflow’s complex: I use Brother software to scan and create a PDF, then Nuance’s OmniPage Pro 17 (running within Codeweaver’s CrossOver) to process the PDF and resave it into DEVONthink Pro’s global inbox.

With DEVONthink Pro 2.7.5 and OS X 10.9.2, placing a file into the folder that already showed in the Finder’s sidebar didn’t get it into DTP’s global Inbox, but using the folder shown in Administrator’s most recent post, did.

I think I’ll disable the Add-On, then re-enable it. My workflow’s working fine, and I frequently use the Sorter, but I’d like to also be able to Save As… directly into DTP.