Again: Snow Leopard and DEVONthink

Snow LeopardsLast week I have posted an article that we don’t expect too many issued with Mac OS X 10.6 ‘Snow Leopard’. Now Snow Leopard is here and the list of issues is in fact a very short one for a a larger OS upgrade. If you plan on upgrading or already have upgraded to Mac OS X 10.6 ‘Snow Leopard’, here are a list of issues to expect:

Mail plug-in: This plug-in relies on undocumented functions in Mail and does not work anymore with Snow Leopard. Solved; the fix will be part of the next update.

Services: Snow Leopard shows all services also in the contextual menu. You can switch DEVONthink’s services on and off now in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts or from the Services sub-menu, and add your own keyboard shortcuts, too. The next update will enable all relevant services automagically and better support Snow Leopard’s new features for services.

Quick Look: The Quick Look panel does not work. Solved; the fix will be part of the next update. Quick Look based previews in the view/edit pane work as expected.

Scanning & OCR: The OCR Activity panel does not work on Snow Leopard. Solved; the fix will be part of the next update.

Global Inbox in Save Dialogs: Adding the global inbox to the Finder through Help > Install Add-ons crashes due to changes in the Finder. For the moment uncheck this option when using the Install Add-ons dialog. We’ll provide a fix as quickly as possible.

Automator: Some actions don’t work on Snow Leopard. Solved; the fix will be part of the next update.

We are working hard to make DEVONthink and DEVONnote play nice with Apple’s new feral cat and deliver a new version as quickly as possible, hopefully already this or next week.

13 Responses to “Again: Snow Leopard and DEVONthink”

1. […] Update: I have posted a new article listing some known issued with Snow Leopard. Read more here. […]

2. Christophe says:

Hello,
    I have been running DTP + DA under SL fro a couple of days. Not so bad.
    My main concern is the handling of the services which has been moved to System preferences > Keyboard.
    Indeed, the services listed there are not, apparently, linked to the app they are relevant to and when it talks about services from different apps but with similar names such as “take a rich text note” or “resume” or “search” or whatever, its impossible to know which service we are activating or de activating… unless to test them successively.
    In addition, I noticed that the contextual services (listed when right clicking in the context) do not mention the app name or icon either when those listed in the Menu are well identified.
    I know you are working on that topic and just wanted to share with you what seems to me, for time being, a quite uncomfortable design.
    Hopefully, you’ll fix it.
    Thank you!

3. Actually this is a shortcoming of Apple’s Services implementation and has been reported as such by mor than one developer. According to the developer documentation the name of the application should have been shown in quotes after the name of Service menu entry.

4. Christophe says:

Thank you for the answer, Annard.
    I think that “shortcoming” is the right word, even if a bit understated.
    And I do hope that the developers community will have some influence to make Apple redesign this terrible thing.
    We, the customers, have also the chance to write some feedbacks to Apple on the dedicated Apple Feedback site and we do it when needed.

I had noticed the app name quoted after the service name but this appears only in the Service menu or in context but not in the Preferences pane where it should be implemented as well because the duplicate service names (very frequent for common services) make the things confusing.
    Note also that for DTP 2.0.pb6, there is only one service including the app name quoted. This is “Resume”. The others not, so far.

Anyway, I hope that Apple will provide you and us with a more elegant way of doing. In the current configuration, this is very disturbing and does not sound professional at all.

Thank you for your attention!

5. John A. Wolf says:

Any word on when this update might be coming? Missing these features after a week in SL!

Also, where is the best place to look when the update is posted? Here, or in the forums? Thanks – looking forward to the changes.

6. The best thing is to enable daily automatic update checking and you will be notified when it’s available. It won’t be long now, we’re just making sure that it is rock-solid also against 10.6.1.

7. Jonathan Christopher says:

Great news! Thank you so much for being on top of it. Once the release goes live I’ll be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Thanks for such a great product that I use every day.

8. Neil says:

I’ve just (re)installed Snow Leopard [10.6.1] and Pro Office [b6] and I’m still seeing a quirk that lead me to this rebuild. After opening and closing a database, it does not appear in the Recent Databases group. Numbers also exhibits a loss of recent items, so this might be Apple’s problem; but I thought I’d mention it.

Thanks for a fantastic product.

9. Neil says:

Enabling recent documents under the Apple menu also enables recent documents in applications, including DEVONthink.

*sigh*

10. I am still using DTPO 1.5.6, and it works fine under SL 10.6.1, less the conduits. Will Mail and NNW conduits be updated also for this version, or will I need to upgrade to the beta to get this to work under SL?

@Basil: We have no intention to update the 1.x releases for Snow Leopard, we’re afraid.

12. @Eric: Suspected that much 😉 but then I understand that the conduits for 1.x and 2.x differs, so the 2.0 ones can’t be used with 1.5.6?

@Basil: Unfortunately they strongly differ. Version 1.x stored all email messages as RTF files whereas version 2.x keeps their original format (.eml(x)) and uses Quick Look to display them. So, sorry, you cannot use the new Mail conduit with version 1.x.