What would you like to see?

For DEVONthink 2.0 I am currently overhauling the example databases that we provide (they’re still in 1.x format). These databases serve both as examples on how to set up a DEVONthink database for a specific purpose and as a template that gets you started. Now my question is: What example databases would you like to see? And: Do you have a database that you think is worth sharing? Please email me or comment here.

20 Responses to “What would you like to see?”

1. Martin says:

I’d like to see an example for accounting.. how to best store invoices, etc. and their references to the accounting soft..

2. Pawel says:

Academic-type of research database with notes, attachments of various formats etc.

3. Mathew says:

Second an academic-type research database.

4. chris says:

I’d also like to see something along the lines of an advanced academic database with notes containing links to various documents as well as some tips about how best to structure a database. While i find the forums to be invaluable for general discussion on such issues, it’d be great to see it in practice.

5. Like to see them both….. an accounting & the academic..or am I too greedy? πŸ˜‰

6. Dan L says:

Third the academic database, but also a more-than-one database structure. Maybe an academic one (classes, students, presentations), a separate research one, maybe a personal one. Reason being: all these things in one database makes it very large and cumbersome. Just a thought. Thanks.

7. Carsten says:

an iphone app, one that lets me store one or more databases on my iphone

8. darwin says:

a research one (e.g. for journalistic purposes, and a second one for private things like scanned invoices (as image or as searchable pdf?).

As we’re not working in academics I have asked our users to help me out here. See my user forum thread.

@Carsten: Thank you for this suggestion but I asked for ideas for example databases πŸ˜€

11. Ryan Briggs says:

Thanks Eric. I also would really appreciate an example academic research database.

12. Joseph says:

Information for pastors and lay leaders who store articles, quotes, and clips for sermon and lesson preparation. There are a lot of pastors who use DevonThink.

13. Andrew-Bede Allsop says:

A genealogy research database would be good.

14. Greg says:

Managing project/opportunity related documents/emails would be very helpful.

15. Arhur says:

A detailed tutorial about DT and scanner resolution and quality settings needed for printing, online reading, or search/archive-only purposes, and: what happens with the original document after OCR import and subsequent export as files.

16. emily bolton says:

I am working on one for criminal lawyers. happy to share.

17. Dan says:

I work in IT, and dabble in physics/philosophy, I heard about this software in a book I am reading and I would really like to check it out, I could see it revolutionizing our knowledge base… I would LOVE to see it be released for M$ support. πŸ˜€ PLEASE!

@ Dan: You could get a Mac and run Windows on it for the software not available for OS X πŸ™‚

19. Dan says:

I could, OR you could just make your software compatible with 91.91% of the desktop market.

Maybe its just me but there limiting your product to the 6.4% of people who own a mac seems to be counter-intuitive, especially since this software is all about connecting ideas, not separating them.

reference: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

20. CJ says:

A genealogy database please.