Of MacJournal and a tractor-drawn trailer

Hay FeverYesterday, Mariner Software published a, hmm, well, … interesting comparison chart for Mariner’s MacJournal and DEVONthink on their Facebook wall. Have a look here. We greatly welcome this idea because it helps customers decide which application is better for their individual needs. However — while Mariner mentions most of MacJournal’s features they miss a least a hundred of DEVONthink’s — just like a farmer who tells you that his tractor-drawn trailer loads a lot more hay than a Ferrari. Which does not mean we don’t like farmers, BTW 😉

But: Some active MacJournal and DEVONthink users have put up their own, more comprehensive comparison chart. Check it out here. Thank you Malcolm!

Dear friends at Mariner Software: If you want to learn more about DEVONthink, just have a look at its product page including a comparison between its editions which has a long list of features 🙂

8 Responses to “Of MacJournal and a tractor-drawn trailer”

1. Dany says:

Both apps are in use here, for different purposes. Love both of them and use them on a regular basis, i.e. daily work.

2. darwin says:

A comparison of DT and MacJournal? Bullshit. Why comparing a Journaling Software (very nice) with a Information Manager (also very nice)? I think this is a Mainer idea, not a Dan Schimpf thing.

3. Steve Zeoli says:

It would be interesting to know what prompted this comparison. Perhaps someone wanted to know how DT stacked up against MJ as a journaling/writing enviornment — in which case, listing all DT’s many features might not be appropriate.

Either way, I use both applications regularly and find them perfectly complementary.

4. homephree says:

I use both DJ and MJ and have done so for nearly five years. I agree the comparison is very narrow in scope. I have tried to use DT as a journal. Although it is fab at collecting journal entries (I have a ‘journal’ label for this) lack of date search and calendar views means I can’t do without MJ. They coexist very nicely though, both being excellently generous at maintaining file info on export and import.

5. Flex says:

Wow, that’s a spectacularly unfair comparison.
    Let’s compare DEVONthink and ScummVM next!

I have actually been on the fence about buying MacJournal for a while now. I always found the Mariner apps a little sterile for creative writing, but MJ seems useful for a project I’d like to start in the coming weeks.
    But if this is really their sales pitch, I have to say thanks, but no thanks.

I have already started using Scrivener for planning said project, and with Scrivener, the developer actually seems like someone I wouldn’t hate throwing my money at. So there.

My thanks go out to Mariner Software for saving me 40 bucks.

6. I can say one thing I purchased DevonThink Pro office almost 6 months ago and it’s like Google still in beta. and still not fully funcitonal with Snow Leopard. What cha doin.

@Marty: If something is not correctly working, have you sent in a bug report (to support(at)devon-technologies.com)?

8. Rand says:

I have never seen a review of DT and anything that notes that since DT has a built-in browser, you can save materials from websites that require a login. As an academic, I am constantly saving materials from things accessible via my university library website, which requires a login. With something like Yojimbo, when I try to save anything I’ve accessed, all I get saved is the login window, which is useless. This is a pet peeve I have with so many software reviews, they are so, so superficial. I’ve used every imaginable info management software on both Windows and Mac, and have never found anything nearly as good as DT.