Web Tip: Snow Leopard scanner compatibility list

ScanningDEVONthink Pro Office uses Image Capture, Mac OS X’s own scanning framework, for accessing flat bed scanners, all-in-one devices, and document scanners (the Fujitsu ScanSnap is an exception, it uses a proprietary driver software). How would you know that your scanner is compatible? Simply try it. But, finally, with Mac OS X 10.6 ‘Snow Leopard’, there is a simpler way: Apple has published a list of compatible scanners: Click here to look up your scanner. Thank you, Apple!

BTW: If your scanner is not supported by Image Capture, don’t despair. DEVONthink Pro Office also comes with the TWAIN scan software ExactScan Capture built-in. And if this also does not work you can use the scan software provided by your scanner and have it send completed scans to DEVONthink Pro Office which will happily pick them up. See DEVONthink Pro Office’s integrated help, chapter ‘Email, Scanning, Web-Sharing’ for more about using your scanner with DEVONthink.

12 Responses to “Web Tip: Snow Leopard scanner compatibility list”

1. Felix says:

My Scanner (Brother 8085dn) is supported by ImageCapture, but doesn´t start in DevonThink. Error Message: “Kein unterstützter Scanner verfügbar. Möchten Sie die Geräteübersicht des Programms „Digitale Bilder“ öffnen, um einen zu finden?”

Felix

2. For these inexplicable cases we have included ExactScan.

3. Jeffrey Kahn says:

Does the Fujitsu ScanSnap still work with DEVONthink when using Snow Leopard?

@Jeffrey: Yes, of course it does.

5. Khalid says:

I started a scanner thread in the forum.

6. When says:

When are you going to ship the final release of DT 2.0? It’s been in beta for too long a time frame!!! 🙁

@When: As posted everywhere else here and in our forum: When the promised tagging has been implemented.

8. Alex says:

I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and since then I am not able to use my Brother MFC-9840CDW scanner any more.

ExactScan always crashes right after selecting the TWAIN driver and ImageCapture tells me that “No supported scanner is available” and when I select to “open Browser” nothing happens.

Do you have any idea what could be the cause of this (I already reinstalled all drivers and DT2.0 to no avail)? I couldn’t find anything through Google yet…

Thanks,
    Alex

@ Alex: It seems that the Brother scanner driver is incompatible with Snow Leopard. Please contact the Brother customer support and ask for an updated driver that works with Image Capture / TWAIN and on Snow Leopard.

10. Alex says:

@Eric: Well, I got the driver from Brother’s website in a subsection that specifically states that the scanner driver is compatible with OS 10.6, so it seems somewhat unlikely.

I will try and get in contact with them as well, but, again, as the download is specifically described to be 10.6 compatible I assume they will just state that as well to any inquiry.

Are there any other problem sources you could think of or is there anything I should look for in the ExactScan dump produced by the crash?

Thanks again,
    Alex

@ Alex: Yes, ExactScan’s the crash log could help. Please send it to support(at)devon-technologies.com. The ExactCode staff received these messages, too, and will look at your problem.

12. Alex says:

@Eric: Thanks for the offer.

After some more searching I found reports on the net concerning this problem – and the solution: I had to reinstall the TWAIN scanner drivers and now it seems to be working just fine.

Thanks for the help anyways, cheers,
    Alex