Tuesday Tip: Get reminded

Sometimes it can be useful to get reminded about a document in your DEVONthink database, for example an invoice you want to pay next week, or an important research document that you need to have read in a month’s time.

Use the following scripts to add a selected document as an event to iCal or as a to-do-item to iCal, OmniFocus, or Things. Download and extract the archive, then move the created folder ‘Reminders’ to ‘~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Scripts/’. This makes the easily accessible from DEVONthink Pro’s Scripts menu.

These scripts will be part of the next public beta of DEVONthink Pro, too. Please note that they do not work with DEVONthink Personal.

19 Responses to “Tuesday Tip: Get reminded”

1. Bryan Gucwa says:

Is it possible for you to publish the Applescript code for these plugins? It would be highly instructive to those of us getting familiar with scripting DevonThink!

Thank you!

@ Byran: These already are raw AppleScript scripts. Simply open them in AppleScript editor to see and edit the code.

3. Khalid says:

Another public beta !! I thought the last missing feature was tagging and that would make it the final release !

@ Khalid: Right, tagging is in the works now. But we will not simply call it a “final” without testing the tagging features in a public beta. We want to deliver quality software.

5. Bryan Gucwa says:

@ Eric: the scripts are .scptd (Bundled Applescripts) which are run-only. Great functionality, and safe from tampering, but a bit frustrating for those of us who are curious! Thanks.

6. Christophe says:

Great news and great feature which I was looking for. See this discussion in the forum http://www.devon-technologies.com/scripts/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9064&p=41970#p41970
    I modestly like to think I have had some influence in that occasion :).
    Thank you to the dream team for this so useful tip.

@ Bryan: Yes, they are .scptd files but you can easily open then im Script Editor by dragging them to it. I have never saved them as non-editable. If you cannot get it to work, please email us to support.

8. Christian says:

Great scripts – great addition to DEVONthink. Would it be somehow possible to add »The Hit List« to the list of supported apps? I think it is quite popular too and quite like Things.

@ Christian: I will have a look at it but nothing promised.

@ Christian: Added. Please simply re-download the Reminders.zip archive. It now also contains a script for The Hit List.

11. Christian says:

@ Eric: Excellent!! This made my day 🙂 Danke danke danke!

12. Paul says:

@Eric, the iCal scripts fail “iCal got an error: AppleEvent handler failed”

13. Christophe says:

On my side, same error as Paul “… AppleEvent handler failed”.
    May be a problem when there are multiple calendars in iCal? Shouldn’t the script prompt the user to select the relevant calendar?
    Your help is welcome!

14. Khalid says:

@Eric . Ofcourse I saw this answer coming. However, my underline frustration is not about the final beta . When DT 2 came out on the ‘promised’ deadline , and with a sense of triumphalism, that it made it sometimes earlier ,was excited ! Then disappointment came that it was a 2.0 beta but figured a couple of months wait is not a problem. Now users are approaching 11 months and I expect the final release will come ‘just in time’ before the new year given that beta 8 will be released by the end of this month !! I feel I have been taken for a ride for nearly a year for a product that was promised Jan. 2009 .

15. Khalid says:

Having ‘vented’ my frustration ,I must say I do know how programming can get complicated and over run its schedule . So a few constructive comments are due. I probably made some of the first few suggestions when DT 2 beta came out and I am happy that some saw the light in later iterations. I am also glad the DT opted for OpenMeta rather propriety tagging, bringing DT a steip further to transperency as promised for DT2 when original file formats are preserved rather than converted to propriet format as in earlier version.So, here is one fundamental deal breaker, that holds back DT from becoming fully open : the ‘propriety’ folder system. I don’t understand the benefits of keeping a different folder structure that is different organized and labeled than the finder, except for perhaps simpler and faster code (?). However, this really creates a barrier to the usability and accessibility of files that are stored in DT . How can I access them if some thing goes wrong with DT and I am in mission critical environment ! (go creative here). It also limits other possible features like folder actions and the numerous scripts that could be used . It could be also a psychological barrier that holds some back from adopting DT fully . Some serious discussion on this is appreciated.

@ Christophe: The script actually targets the very first calendar in iCal’s calendar list. Which version of Mac OS X and of iCal do you use? Could you, maybe, write this to support(at)devon-technologies.com so that we can continue the bug hunting there?

17. Christophe says:

@Eric,
    As you recommended, I have reported my problem (see above) at the devon support team. It has been recorded in your Support center backlog on the 22nd of october under the incident number #901076.
    Unfortunately, since this date, I have not received any news about the processing of the incident.
    I would be grateful the Devon team to inform me (us) about it.
    Thank you!

@ Christophe: We have been away from the office for over a week. I have replied today.

19. Earlier we used 2DO for task management and now we have shifted to Toodledo.