It’s Beta Time Again

Quite a few of you have already contacted us and asked if we are planning an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad companion to DEVONthink. Our answer always was: ‘Stay tuned.’ Starting today it is: ‘Yes, and it’s already in beta test’.

I have just seeded DEVONpad 1.0 beta 1, for iPhone and iPod touch,Β to our closed beta tester team. That means that all major features have been implemented and it’s time now for bug fixing, performance enhancements, and interface polishing. The final step will be, of course, adjusting the user interface also to the iPad. Want to know what we think about the iPad? We think it very well designed, both hardware and software, and has a great potential. We will support it as good as we can!

So, to give you an impression of what DEVONpad looks like, here are a few screen shots for you, showing: the main screen, the sync in progress, information about a database, a list of documents, the search screen, and the map screen showing pins where documents have been created.

I will keep you updated about the further progress we make with DEVONpad. We hope that we can give 1.0 final to Apple for review as quickly as possible.

Side note: Please don’t contact us to ask if you can join the beta group. The iPhone Developer Program allows us to install beta software on up to 100 devices. We need to keep a few slots in the list for iPad testing so please understand that we cannot extend the beta group at the moment.

81 Responses to “It’s Beta Time Again”

1. Michael says:

It would be great if you could email your pdf’s from devonpad, I scan everything using a scan-snap and to be able to search and email something anywhere would be huge for me. Also, what about note taking, will this be possible?

2. Lou says:

Great if it syncs with webdav: i like evernote concept but i prefer devonthink organization. With webdav sync it will be possible to have information at the cloud.

@Michael: Emailing should be possible unless the files are not too large (there is no API yet for sending files for email to the iPad/iPhone’s Mail application). Note taking will, of course, be possible.

@Lou: WebDAV support will be added to a later release when we have added this ability to DEVONthink itself.

5. Mark Krieg says:

I’ve been dreaming of this!!! Can’t wait for it’s release! BRING IT!!!

6. tersono says:

Can’t wait. Devonthink is one of those rare applications I can’t live without. I’ll be buying the iPhone/iPad app the day it ships…

7. Michael says:

Eric any progress on the status? Will there be a different interface on the ipad depending on the orientation? Will you be able to pinch to zoom? Great work to date!

I have finally received our iPad (it was locked in German customs for four weeks β€” no kidding) and will explore the possibilities soon.

9. Kacey says:

Given the typical Devon Development turn-around time between beta and ready-for-market, can we expect to see this in the near future or are we looking at July, 2010 and beyond?

Well, we have received our iPads here in Europe four days ago β€” we’re working at it.

11. Doug says:

I know you’re working hard on the app…

Congrats on finally getting your iPad – I hope you take some breaks from your work to *play* with it, too!

12. Andy Johnson says:

I have hoped for this for so long! The day that this comes out DevonThink will finally become the complete solution that I have needed! Please make the sync functionality a priority! MobileMe sounds great! The apps that I use, such as OmniFocus, that use MobileMe syncing, vs. WIFI only on the same network, have proven to be much more useful.

13. OP says:

Yea, looking forward to the iphone and ipad apps. Can’t be sooner.

14. Alan says:

Loving this! I’m a devonthink office pro junkie, and will use the iPad app as soon as available.

One plea: escalate priority of remote connection (hence encryption). Usefulness of iPad app goes way up for me when I can access devonthink when I’m on the road, not at home. I don’t think most commenters so far appreciate the implication of requiring devonthink and iPad app to be on the *same* wifi – may not even work in distributed university environments. I can live with a requirement for wifi on both ends of the connection.

Thanks for listening!

@Alan: Version 1.0 will definitely sync on the local WiFi network but we will add remote-area network synchronization as soon as we have it ready for the Mac.

16. KPhinney says:

I have a love-hate relationship with DevonThink Pro and I think this is a good spot to air some concerns in hopes they don’t cary over to the iPad app:

Foremost (although I don’t think this _can_ be a problem the way the iTunes Store is set), when a program says it’s time to “Update” I click “OK”. More than a few times DTP somehow switched to DT Office Pro and I needed to uninstall, reinstall, request new license numbers, etc. Keep that off my iPad – you won’t win any converts by annoying anyone with adds, prompts for different versions, or the need to uninstall/reinstall.

Folder updating. With iOS4 we will have folders. Please let the mobile version examine folders for changes and update the database. If I add a file (PDF, Txt, etc) to the folder “TPS Reports” I’d like to be able to locate it when searching in the App without having to remember to update the file list.

Automated Backup & Optimize. Especially the ability to do this to an off-device server, preferably .Mac/.Me or a WiFi enabled drive. I’ve gone through 6 iPhones since the Gen 1. Four of which died catastrophically. Yes, iTunes may do backups of the device, but you’re counting on mobile users to plug in. I’d rather use the iPads as [almost] stand alone devices.

Security. Now that we’re going mobile with a database an added layer of security would be appreciated when I let these out in the field. At least an option for a password on App startup and a secure location for the database.

Oh, and hurry up!! Thanks,

Kurt

On the iPad/iPhone there are never any license codes as it’s all managed by the App Store. The “folders” on iOS 4 are only for apps. There are no folders that applications can access. On the iPad there are only apps and their data. No inter-app communication or file exchange except for pre-defined interfaces. The location of the database on an un-jail-breaked iPad is always secure.

18. […] you're new here, consider subscribing to the RSS feed or our free newsletter.A while ago I posted an article about our forthcoming iPhone application. Since then we worked in stealth mode on finishing the app […]

19. Dave Kosiur says:

So, when is the iPad app coming, already??? It’s been over 4 months since you announced the seeding of the first beta.

I was impatient then, I’m even more impatient now. πŸ˜‰

I NEED the iPad app!!

20. Mario says:

The world eagerly awaits!
    any updates?

21. Eliot Attridge says:

Definitely looking forward to this

Any eta yet?

22. David Mussington says:

I too would like to know when I can pre- order for devonpad (if that is to be the name). Do you plan to email current owners on initial availability?

David Mussington

It cannot be pre-ordered yet but it will be available soon. We are in the final QA phase now.

24. Guy says:

Do you have an ETA for publishing this? and how much is it going to cost? Does it also sync with the desktop client?

We have an internal ETA and will publish it as soon as we are sure that we can meet it. Price is not fixed and it will, of course, sync with the Desktop version.

26. OogieM says:

ANy news yet? Hoping for something for my iPod Touch soon.

27. Marcel says:

The last update is from March. Please let us know what’s going on.

28. Jay says:

You guys should really update your pages. The front page still lists the arrival of DevonThink 2.0 (over a year ago), and the iPad app announcement links to this old update instead of the most recent one. Last week I decided against purchasing DevonThink/Agent right now because it appeared that there hadn’t been any updates to anything in over half a year. Thankfully Eric’s link in the comments here corrected that misconception on my part, but I would have never found that if I hadn’t decided to check the comments to see if anyone else was concerned about the lack of updates. I’m probably not the only new customer you almost lost due to this problem… but I’m glad to see that you’re all still alive and working hard there, and will be happily buying DevonThink soon!

29. Tim Collins says:

Devonthink to Go now live in the App store. Downloading now! πŸ™‚

Please see the new announcement here.