Tuesday Tip: Use Icons

You may know that you can paste icons onto documents and groups in DEVONthink to easier distinguish them: copy any picture, then open the Info panel for the document or group (Tools > Show Info), select the icon, and paste your picture. What you may not know is that you can do the same with DEVONthink databases in nearly the same fashion. Copy the icon you would like to use to the clipboard, then select the database package in the Finder, open the Info panel (File > Get Info), select the icon field, and paste your picture.

See the screenshot to the right, posted by power user Mark Grimes. Thank you, Mark, for this wonderful tip!

8 Responses to “Tuesday Tip: Use Icons”

1. Sven Luetkemeier says:

…and it even works with group icons in DEVONThink itself 😉

2. S. says:

Didn’t work for me. I created a new database, went to Tools>Show Info, and there’s NO SELECTABLE ICON in the ShowInfo window so I can replace it. There is the generic DEVON icon in the main pane, however.

Read carefully. For databases, you need to paste the icon onto the database package in the Finder.

4. alex says:

‘…Copy any picture…’ Well, any icon (.icns) that is…
    But thanks for the tip, never thought of it.

@alex: You can also copy any image data and paste it, e.g. from Preview or from within Photoshop.

6. Christian says:

What size do images have to have to be used as icons? If it is to big, only the symbol for pictures on my mac appears.

@Christian: That is up to the Finder. I have no problems cutting a large piece of a photo in Preview (select, the copy) and paste it onto any file.

8. Sarah says:

Thanks for the tip; I didn’t know I could customize either and my icons look a lot niftier now. Like others I had to re-read a couple of times to get it right.