DEVONthink To Go 1.0 beta 5 Seeded

A while ago I posted an article about our forthcoming iPhone application. Since then we worked in stealth mode on finishing the app and optimizing it for iOS 4.0, the iPhone 4, and the larger user interface of the iPad (which we finally received also here in Europe where I am living). On the iPad it’s truly a ‘DEVONthink that you can touch’. Absolutely cool. See yourself:

DEVONthink To Go DEVONthink To Go Synchronizing

DEVONthink To Go (Steve Jobs does not allow apps with the word ‘pad’ in their name on the App Store), which we have seeded to our closed beta group as 1.0 beta 5, is nearly final and our to-do list is pretty short now:

1. Add password-protection for databases
  2. Add localizations for German and French
  3. Send to Apple for review

In short: Stay tuned!

Side note: Please understand that we cannot extend the beta group at the moment.

80 Responses to “DEVONthink To Go 1.0 beta 5 Seeded”

1. gameboy213 says:

@Eric sounds great!

I have a feeling this will bring a bunch more users to your desktop application when the iPad version is released.

2. Bryan says:

@Eric: document sharing…

Personally, I’d love to see the document sharing feature present in 1.0. And I wouldn’t mind waiting longer for a finished product.

What does everyone else think? Of course, yes – the sooner the better 🙂

3. MarkT says:

Yep, no scope creep please! Save it for 1.1.

We’ll take what you’ve got now thank you!

Please let us know when you submit.

Regards, Mark

4. Bryan says:

As a polite aside:

Document Sharinig (recently introducted in iOS 4.0, according to my understanding), was originally released for the iPad’s OS. It’s one of the things that led me to buy an iPad in the first place.

I’d love to see it in DT To Go. Honestly, I don’t think it qualifies as “feature creep”, but an added dimension to the shared workspace that is the iPad.

However, I’d happily trade that in for purchasing DT To Go right now!

5. Michael says:

I am ready to buy now. FilemakerGo recently was released and now I am ready to complete my workflow with DTGO. Sooner the better.

6. Sebastian says:

Any news about the release date? This app is key for me on the iPad.

7. Markus says:

Evaluating DEVONthink Pro in the moment. Truly a great piece of software. A missing iPhone companion app is the only reason that is delaying my order.

8. […] dedicated to iOS here at DEVONtechnologies and is already working on cleaning up the code of the iPhone/iPad project, that I have been working on in the recent months, fixing memory leaks and tweaking project […]

9. Michael says:

Angelos had a good point with the name. DevonThink Go or DTGO has a much better rhythm to it then ‘to go’. Anxiously waiting…would have liked being a beta tester…

10. sjk says:

Re: iPhone/iPad app (mis/re)naming, here’s what I posted on the forum several weeks ago:

– Gak! Reminds me of DataViz’s Documents To Go, which will always remind me of the disappointment after what that company did (and didn’t do) with thinkDB after buying it from thinkingBytes. 🙁

So, I’d vote for most anything if it *never* reminds me of that. 🙂

11. Paul says:

A VERY strong vote for DropBox integration here, and the sooner the better. Note that most of the other apps mentioned already integrate on iPad with dropbox. So dropbox integration would allow DTGO to become part of an existing iPad ecosystem.

Brand new user … Just bought today…. iPad Developement was the key deciding factor.

12. Vidovdan says:

“…Steve Jobs does not allow apps with the word ‘pad’ in their name on the App Store” ?

No offence, but there seems to be a bunch of apps with the word ‘pad’, starting with SpringPad. A simple search on the iTunes store will bring up all of them.

One thing I did not see on your messqges is the question of the pricing of this app. Are you giving it for free to existing DevonThink users or it will be sold to all ? What will be the price ?

DevonThink Pro Office being already super expensive, a free app would be more than welcome. Beside, it should also attract non-DT users to buy DT…

At the time of writing the article, another app with “pad” in its name had just been rejected because of exactly that. And there is an email from Mr. Jobs himself that had been published on this subject, too.

14. Vidovdan says:

That was just a comment on what you wrote at the top of this thread. Whatever you call the app is actually irrelevant to me. What is more relevant is the pricing and, of course, the release date…

15. Naekoo says:

To me,the price is second thing. Most important to me is when it is ready and how well this DT2GO is working. I have already purchased iPad and purchased almost all applications for ipad I’ve used in my Mac except for dtpro. Now I am really experiencing the absence of devonthink whenever I try to use iPad for my work.

16. boris says:

My workflow at the moment is having a large number of PDFs of scientific articles that I throw into Devonthink Pro, then I need to read those articles and select the parts I want to work with, and put those into a Scrivener document where I’ll write with them. At the end of the writing I sort out the referencing with Endnote or Mendeley.

My interest in the iPad version is to offload the reading and highlighting part to the ipad. If I have someway to move a group of documents to the ipad (perhaps a whole database), read and discover similar files, highlight and add notes, and have those retained when they go back to my desktop, that would have me buying the ipad version immediately!

17. Dave Kosiur says:

When’s the shipping version coming? I can’t wait!

18. Michael says:

Vidovdan, the price for devonpro is great. For what it does it is not too much at all. It would be great if current owners get a coupon code for the app but why do it for free? FMGO was $40 and that was great for what you get. I have no problem paying $40 but would prefer a 50% discount for already owning the original.

19. MarkT says:

Any updates?

20. Gameboy213 says:

I hope the lack of updates is due to the release being sooner than later!

21. Jochen says:

It is so hard to wait ….

22. Peter Norman says:

re: Apps for DevonThink Go to support

Eric stated elsewhere that third-party apps must be programmed to support DevonThink Go rather than DevonThink Go being programmed to support them. I’m assuming that any suggestions will be pursued by contacting the developer of the suggested app.

Handwriting recognition (HWR) apps are the most fascinating third-party apps from my own point of view. I would love to be able to move handwritten notes from these apps to DevonThink Go and from there on to DevonThink Pro Office.

I’m not sure if PDF entry is supported in DevonThink Go so my suggestions may only be possible in versions released after 1.0 unless another format can be used to get notes from these apps into DevonThink Go:
    – Dan Bricklin’s NoteTaker HD
    – MobileNoter
    – Notes Plus
    – smartNote

23. Polymath says:

September 1st is just around the corner. Are we there yet? At the end of July, the release seems rather imminent, but still no news. Some of us are not going to hang around much longer I’m afraid. . .

24. Michael says:

If the ipad app will let you view your database (which is not multi-user) than is there a current way I can view my database from another machine WITHOUT web publishing? I do not need to add files on the one machine, just view, print, email, drag, etc.

@Michael: Not yet but we are working on a sync option that lets you sync databases between multiple machines.

26. Tanguy Swinnen says:

Guys,

sorry to say that the delays let you run the risk of losing market shares : I (and most probably others) am evaluating your biggest competitor (IMHO) : ErverNote.
    If, at least, we could have a exhaustive feature list (maybe I missed it somewhere on the site), it would help choose and (hopefuly) stay with DT.

Have a look at our product pages (http://www.devon-technologies.com/products) starting tomorrow afternoon (CEST).

28. Michael says:

Apple said in a keynote the approval process only took a few weeks. Have you received a modify request? Any status on this release?
    Thanks

We are “waiting for review” now for one and a half weeks. So let’s hope we have climbed up the queue a bit and get *into* review soon.

30. Michael says:

Great job! Already loaded on my iPad