DEVONthink Pro and Pro Office come with the ability to use multiple databases simultaneously — and you might wonder what the advantages and disadvantages it may have to distribute your data over multiple databases vs. stuffing everything into one single database. So here’s a little list of the pros and cons.
• Databases can be individually opened or not, saving RAM.
• AI-related functions work much better with focused databases.
• Single databases can be easier saved to the iDisk or sent by email.
• The concordance, classification, and other AI-related functions only apply to one database at a time.
• Moving items from one database into another is slightly more work.
So, in one sentence: The main difference of multiple databases vs. one large database is that the AI functions are restriction to the contents of one database. If you create more focused databases the AI will work better.