Tuesday Tip: Integrate DEVONthink with SKIM and Sente

DEVONthink Pro comes with smart templates for integrating bibliographic data from Sente 6 as notes. Power user and scripter Rob Trew has published an additional script that sends selected notes to DEVONthink including attachments. Another new script copies notes from PDFs open in SKIM as rich text document to your database. So if you want to transfer notes from SKIM or aren’t satisfied with the pre-fab Sente 6 smart template that comes with DEVONthink Pro, have a look at Rob’s free scripts.

Thank you for these great scripts, Rob!

Note: Updated with new link for Rob’s free scripts.

24 Responses to “Tuesday Tip: Integrate DEVONthink with SKIM and Sente”

1. The Balcony says:

[…] As Papers is not scriptable, Rob’s script directly accesses Paper’s MySQL database. Rob also offers more scripts such as ones offering even tighter integration of Sente 6 with DEVONthink (see last week’s Tuesday Tip. […]

2. Jeff says:

I’ve struggled for several hours with the Sente to DevonThink script and have to say that I can only get it to work with one reference at a time.

1) I had an attachment disappeare. It looked like the PDF might have been extracted from the library and placed in DevonThink, because the disappearance happened after deleting the copy from DevonThink. I was able to re-attach a backup of the PDF but, of course, my notes were henceforth orphaned from it (i.e. highlighting gone etc.)
    I’ve tried avoiding all this by making an unsychronised test copy of my Sente library with all the attachments in a folder outside the library. But I won’t be able to put this experiment to any long term test because:
    2) Any attempt at sending multiple references is met with an error that there are more ‘UUIDs’ than ‘attachment lists’. I’ve optimised my library and still this happens.

@Jeff: See my email reply.

4. Paul says:

Hi!
    The skim script doesn’t work!
    Please, update 🙂

@Paul: Just tried to see what I can do but as MobileMe is closed the script is no longer available, I am afraid. I don’t seem to have a copy, too.

Hi Hugh. Thank you, updated both links!

7. Daniel López says:

Hi. I have the same problem as @Jeff: “Any attempt at sending multiple references is met with an error that there are more ‘UUIDs’ than ‘attachment lists’. I’ve optimised my library and still this happens.” But it happens to me even with a single reference. @eboehnish do you know how to solve it? Thanks!

@Daniel López: I had sent Jeff an updated script that should solve this problem. Unfortunately he never confirmed that it’s working. See my email.

9. Bascom Guffin says:

@eboehnisch: I’m having the same “UUIDs” problem. The message pops out as:

mismatch:
    2 uuids
    1 attachment lists …

Those two numbers might be different depending on the number of articles I’ve selected to run the script on. The problem doesn’t happen with every document, though whether it crops up or not is consistent from document to document. That is, some documents will always work, and some will always not work. If you have an updated script available, I promise to try it out and give you feedback on it. Thanks much for the script — for the documents it works on, it’s very, very handy.

10. elciddo says:

@eboehnisch: I’m having the same “UUIDs” problem.
    I too would be glad to test an updated script, if you would be so kind.
    Otherwise, echoing @Bascom, thanks for the script, its absolutely invaluable!

11. Édison Silva says:

Hi, I am new to DT2. This script helped a great lot, it meant a great upgrade to my workflow. Does it work with snapshots? I just tried to send a snapshot from Sente to DT2, but an error message appeared: “The command exited with a non-zero status”. Thanks again for the script!

@ Édison Silva: What do you mean with “snapshots”? Does it work for regular references? Please feel free to continue by contacting our support staff.

13. Heath says:

I too am having the trouble with the UUID/attachment list mismatch. I believe I’m using the most recent version of the script; could I get a copy of the mysterious email referenced above that contains the solution? 🙂 Thanks!

@ Heath: Please send me email to eboehnisch (at) devontechnologies.com and I’ll send you a copy. As soon as I have a confirmation that my modified script works I’ll update the official one.

15. Édison Silva says:

@ eboehnisch: by “snapshots” I mean Sente’s snapshots. Sente has this “Select region for image capture” option (upper right corner, near the “Select text” button, the “A” symbol). When clicked, it allows for the creation of a snapshot. The help text reads, “create a note with a snapshot of the selected region”. I use it to extract figures, graphs and tables from PDFs. When I run the script to export references that contain both text and snapshot notes, or references with many snapshot notes (and no text notes), the error message appears, or simply nothing happens (after some minutes of spinning beach ball). I think it can have something to do with memory usage or similar (not an expert on this) – specially because when I run the script in references with only 1-2 snapshot notes, it usually works (in a test with a reference containing 2 snapshots, only one was imported – the other was ignored; however, in a second test with another reference, both snapshots were imported successfully).

@ Édison Silva: Thank you for the details. I have never worked with Sente snapshots. I will have a look when I am back from our summer vacation around mid-August.

17. Lew Friedland says:

A related question. If storing PDFs marked up in Skim in DT Pro, does it make sense to store the Skim copy or original PDF. Keeping two copies creates a duplication and management problem, but I need to keep my Skim annotations. It looks like the Skim to DT converter is not working properly, and the link reports an error.

18. Csaba Pusztai says:

Hi!

I am new to DevonThink and using applescripts as well. I have the Sente 2 DevonThink script, but I have no idea how to put it to use and I find no documentation or hints online. Do I need to edit the script (add paths for instance) and then compile?

Thanks,

Csaba

@ Csaba: No need to edit the scripts. The scripts come with a short introduction (Sente2Devn.md, can be opened with SimpleText).

20. Gilberto says:

where can I find this template/script?

@ Gilberto: The smart templates can be found in Data > New from Template. The other scripts you can download using the link in the above post.

22. Sarah says:

Ever since the new Sente update Rob’s script no longer pulls over attachments for me, only notes. Any ideas for a fix?

Thanks!