DEVONthink To Go handles large PDFs and rich text now

While we are working hard on behind-the-scene changes for a totally new sync technology that will soon do away with the current problems we have released two other new features this weekend for DEVONthink To Go: a brand new PDF viewer and a new rich text editor that allows you to use formatted text on your iPad or iPhone. This makes it now possible to view even very large PDF documents including scans on your device without making the app quit due to memory limitations and to edit formatted text, something iOS does not yet offer itself like OS X does. Of course, DEVONthink To Go 1.2.1 fixes a large number of bugs, too, and is fully compatible to iOS 5.

15 Responses to “DEVONthink To Go handles large PDFs and rich text now”

1. Bath says:

Please let the new synch work through the cloud!!! That would be fantastic

If all goes well it will support Dropbox and WebDAV; maybe iCloud (but that will be really hard)

3. Robin says:

Good to see the continued development. My unfulfilled wish is to be able to annotate PDFs in DTG without having to go outside the app. I’d even take, for now, for a PDF viewer that will show my iAnnotate mark-ups on a pdf without having to save them as a flat PDF.

5. Victor says:

Wow, I have been waiting for this to happen for a couple of years. I feel like a kid before Christmas. You shouldn’t tease us like this. I want sync now!

In a more serious note, thanks for all that effort to bring that into place.

6. Tanguy says:

following a bit later about iannotate. I’m facing also the issue of traveling with my docs, annotating them and getting them back in a central place.
    Reading the forum here, it looks like people are able to annotate outside of DTG … and get their doc back into DTG and hence on the desktop @ home ? Even if I can’t read my annotations on the iPad inside DTG, I’d like to be sur the annoyed file IS stored, even if I need each time to export into iAnnotate to visualize.

Any help / announcement for the future on the subject ?

To annotate a PDF outside of DEVONthink To Go you have to use the “Open In” action menu item. When done with the annotating send it back using the same mechanism.

8. devsochs says:

Deconthink to go should handle RSS feed, support a reeder and Evernote integration(in and out) I would use it more. Not to mention have some sort of devonagent abilities.

Some ‘essentials’ version for those days I cant use my computer. Perhaps cloud based savable searches in he devonAgnet part. Just thoughts.

9. Michael Christensen says:

About a year ago the following was written here above: “We are using a new third-party PDF library now and we are in contact with the developers so that we might get PDF annotations eventually.” (Eric, 26 oct.) Has there been any development in this area??

The PDF library we are using has just been updated two weeks ago. We will, however, not use it on the 1.x branch of DEVONthink To Go but in version 2.0 which we are currently writing from scratch. It will be much easier and cleaner to integrate and to use.

11. Michel says:

Whats about versio 2? I Like Devonthink, but i need to see the annotations right in DTtGo. When will it be available? This Year? Until Summer?

12. @ Michel: It’s in the works but I cannot give more specific information about a release date. I will post any information that I can share as soon as ever possible, but no sooner than it makes sense, here in this blog.

13. Rich says:

I am in a pinch here. Just dropped $200 on DevonThink Pro and DevonThink To Go, thinking I could use the tool to annotate the large number of PDFs I deal with on a regular basis. While I have found away to annotate them outside of DTG, getting them back into DTG from my annotation software is not working. Are there certain annotation software packages that work better then others for this task? I need something until DTG can handle this on its own.

14. Rich says:

I should have mentioned, I am using PDFReader on my iPad. The problem I have is that I can easily open files outside of DTG in PDFReader, but the app requires me to move the files outside of the inbox to edit them and I cannot figure out how to move them back so that I can get them into DTG and then later sync with DTP. Any suggestions?

15. @ Rich: You have to use the same Open In mechanism again to bring the edited PDF back into DEVONthink To Go. No other way on iOS I am afraid.