Tuesday tip: Take reading notes from EndNote

If you so scientific research it is likely that you often take reading notes and, maybe, you are also using a bibliography manager such as EndNote. Forum user Nicolae Turcan has created a smart template to facilitate this.

Install it from DEVONthink’s or DEVONnote’s Support Assistant (open it from the Help menu and follow the link at the bottom to the extras page). Thank you, Nicolae!

12 Responses to “Tuesday tip: Take reading notes from EndNote”

1. Pete Medway says:

Hi — Does it work with (a) Bookends and (b) Devonthink Pro Office?

It works with EndNote, not Bookends, I am afraid, but it also works, of course, with DEVONthink Pro Office.

3. Reinhard says:

Checked three pages of Office Extras but failed to see something identifiable as a bibliography manager. Or is it only visible, if one has EndNote installed (not here)?
    Thanks — Reinhard

Open the Support Assistant, click the link to the Extras. Switch to Templates. It’s called “Reading Notes”.

5. Nestor says:

It’s very interesting, I’m not using Endnote but the approach could be useful also for nonEndnote users. Unfortunately it seems the script can only be run…would it be possible to see the code?
    Thanks

Sure, you can see every smart template’s code. Just show it in the Finder and remove its file name extension. See the built-in help of DEVONthink Pro to learn more about how smart templates work internally.

7. Nestor says:

Thanks Eric, I knew that the point is that the main.scpt apparently has been saved as a run-only script and for what I know it can’t be opened or modified by Applescript editor nor text edit or else

In this case you would need to contact the author of the smart template. It’s a third-party one.

9. Carolin says:

Does it work with Endnote X5? I always get the message that I should open Endnote and select at least one reference, what I did, but it still doesn’t create the template…

In theory it works with X6. We have, however, changed the template and optimized it for X6 recently so it could well be that it now no longer works with X5 and below, I am afraid.

11. ch says:

The template for creating an EndNote reference in DEVONthink Pro Office doesn’t seem to work. I am running EndNote X7 and the Pro Office versions (all updated). When I try to create an EndNote Reference in DT, it comes back with asking me to make sure EndNote is running and that a reference is selected.

We have tested our template with EndNote X6 but not yet with X7. We’ll contact the makers of EndNote to get a copy of the latest version to update our template for it. Thank you for letting us know!