Public beta: New scanner and camera support

Many of you are using DEVONthink Pro Office as the heart of your paperless office. And no paperless office without scanning. Therefore we have now completely rewritten our DEVONthink scanner support and updated it to use the latest Apple technology. The new scanner interface now fully supports all flatbed, sheet-fed, wireless, and network scanners as well as digital cameras and all iDevices with a camera that can be accessed also through the Image Capture application

Before we make this plugin part of DEVONthink Pro Office we’d like to gather some more experience with your scanner or camera and listen to what you think about it. Yes, we don’t have all models available for testing in our labs. No kidding.

So if you are a DEVONthink Pro Office user and own a scanner other than a Fujitsu ScanSnap (we support this using a different technique), a digital camera, iPhone, iPod, or iPad with a camera please download the DEVONthink Scanner Plugin Beta here and give it a test drive. The accompanying Readme file explains how to install it, use it, and how to report issues and send feedback.

Update: A new public beta 2 is available. Click here.

47 Responses to “Public beta: New scanner and camera support”

1. Peter says:

Hi,
    umax astra 4500 does not work with the plug-in. too old this scanner,hmm?
    Best greetings

Does Image Capture work with it?

3. Doug says:

Works with Epson Stylus CX9400FAX. My only problem is after I click “Send to” in Scans and Images I was expecting the document to go to my Inbox. I see the OCR window showing activity but cannot find it anywhere in DEVONthink.

4. Greg says:

Hi,

This doesn’t work with the HP ScanJet 8390. It doesn’t find the device natively in DTP or work with Image Capture either: never has. The scanner works with ExactScan from DTP as well as natively with the HPScan software.

Greg

5. Peter says:

unfortunately not

Then we’re out of luck. You can still use your scanner’s software.

7. Stefan Braun says:

Works with an HP Photosmart C3180.
    jpeg -> Documents -> OCR -> DEVONthink worked fine.

After clicking around a bit it crashed. I sent a bug report with crash dump and some description. Could not reproduce the issue yet.

Besides that I like the plugin a lot!

Stefan

8. Tom says:

Works with Canon 9000F. iPad is recognized as mobile device, but no my iPhone.

@ Greg: If it never worked with Image Capture then our new plugin, based on Image Capture, cannot do anything here, we’re afraid.

@ Doug: Yes, the images should appear in DEVONthink Pro Office’s global inbox. Switch e.g. to list view so that you don’t miss files in the Inbox’s root level.

11. Jan Frick says:

It does not work with my IRIScan scanner. It is not recognized.

Is your IRIScan scanner recognized by Image Capture? If it isn’t then it will (of course) not work in our plugin as this is also based on the Image Capture drivers.

13. Jeremy says:

Worked flawlessly with iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, jailbroken and Gevey Ultra unlocked. Well done, very nice! With this equipment, however, adding to DTTG on the iPhone and syncing to DTPO is a bit more streamlined, less steps to get the same (???) result.

14. Marcus says:

Hi, I have probs to find the plug-in folder at all to install the plug in.

When I copy the path in the Go to Folder-Search field, it says “no folder found”.

When I look manually for the Applications Support Folder, I only found one in my HD-Library (with only two Apps installed, but not DT 2). There is no Library in my User-Folder(!), so I can’t find the Applications Folder there.

Lion 10.7.2

How can I install the plug in?

Please follow the instructions in the Read Me file. You access your personal Library folder by opening the “Go” (“Gehe zu”) menu in the Finder with the Option key pressed. The folder is hidden by default in OS X 10.7 Lion and later.

16. Marcus says:

oh, I forgot the Option key. Thanks.

17. Gary Schelling says:

Works with Neat Mobile Scanner. Thank you. Now I can use it directly in my workflow, rather than what I used to do: using image capture and saving to the DT universal inbox.

@ Gary: Cool! Directly, or using some TWAIN bridge? Is the Neat scanner driver directly Image Capture compatible?

19. Juan says:

Is this working with DEVONthink pro or just working with DEVONthink pro office? thanks

20. jregan says:

I can scan with my V600 Epson. Thanks! However, it doesn’t work with when trying to use with Exact Scan or Image Capture.

21. […] die auch mit Apples Image Capture Applikation funktionieren. Zur Zeit ist dieses Modul in der Public Beta Phase. Das Blog von DEVONtechnologies ist übrigens generell […]

It should also work with DEVONthink Pro.

If it doesn’t work with Apple’s Image Capture app it will not work with DEVONthink Pro Office either. You may need to talk to Epson for an Image Capture compliant driver.

24. André says:

Scanner Hp 2570 series works fine.
    Nikon D300 camera works fine (NEF Raw files).
    Can not select Properties, Edit, Play, Delete and Send to buttons in Scans and Images directory.
    However when double clicking an image, it is possible to edit in the new window. And double clicking again brings up the editor.

25. Stephan A. says:

Wow! Works fine with my Epson BX635WD network connected printer/scanner – flatbed and document feeder

26. chris says:

HP C6180 works great with DevonThinkProOffice 2.3.2 on Lion. It’d be nice to be prompted for confirmation before selecting “Delete Document”.

27. Federico says:

Before starting the installation process, quit DEVONthink. Open The Finder Application and select the menu Go > Go to Folder, type ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/
    Plugins and press the Go button. Copy the DTScannerPlugin.bundle file into this folder.

I don’t have this folder on my OS 10.7.2 ???

If you don’t have a “Plugins” inside of ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 then simply create it.

29. yael says:

Scanning works with Epson Stylus PX720WD, but the PDF doesn’t appear in DEVONthink… What could be the problem?

30. Federico says:

Now it works fine with my CanoScan 8800F

Have you sent the file to DEVONthink? Have you tried to search for it? It should be filed at whatever you set as the “default destination” in DEVONthink’ preferences.

32. yael says:

I sent the file and I can also find it, but it doesn’t appear in DEVONthink.

So you can find it in DEVONthink using the search function but not locate it? Try to right-click it in the results and choose “Reveal”.

34. yael says:

No, I can’t find it in DEVONthink, only using spotlight (it’s in DEVONthink scans).

Hmm, as this becomes slightly too much for a comment thread on the blog, could you please do me the favor, visit our contact page (choose “Bug report (scan plugin)” as help topic) and write us a list of the exact steps you’re taking so that we can try to follow them here and trace back what happens on your end? Thank you!

36. Marcus says:

Hi there, by accident, I found there is a new Devon app: Sphere Express. But no, press release, no blog post. …

Whats’s going on ?

37. Morten says:

I have the same experience as Doug: it works fine with Samsung CLX 3180 on my private network. After I click Send, I see the OCR activity, but I can’t find the document anywhere in DEVONthink. I would love to see it work though.

38. Thomas Podella says:

Hello,
    i use a hp officejet 6500a plus. after installing the bundle the scanner works but devonthink office pro always crashes if i try to close the scan window.
    Import over exact scan doesn’t work,. The twain plugin appears in an window and a search for scanners begins to start but none was found….and crash again.
    Has anybody some tips or hints to solve these problems?
    Thanks
    Thomas

39. From a DevonThink Pro NOT DevonThink Pro Office end user.

The application interfaces perfectly with an HP PSC 2100.
    After I unchecked the “OCR” option in the “Properties” interface, my scanned document went to the Inbox after clicking “Send To”. The program presented a dialog box with an “OCR engine” exception every instance prior to unchecking the “OCR” option.

Joyfully Magnifying God’s Glory Through Jesus,

Daniel

40. Jens says:

Hi,
    I am using DT Pro Office 2.3.2 (trial), lion, canon lide 210 and the current 2.8 canon driver package from apple – it is nearly impossible to scan with the new beta plugin – 1 of 10 trials was successful after manually plugging out and in the scanner. No problems with scanner outside devonthink. I would really appreciate to use this plugin.
    kind regards,
    Jens
    PS: it would be great to have more than 50 chars on your contact page to report bugs

@ Jens: Actually, you have to enter more than 50 characters on the contact page, but not less 🙂

42. […] the last few weeks we have fixed a number of bugs in our new scanner and camera support plugin (see my first posting here) as well as a new bug reporting function that makes it easier for you to report a […]

43. sjk says:

Hi Jens,

I’ve been having plenty of trouble scanning with my new CanoScan LiDE 110, which is similar to the 210, with current Canon software from Apple installed on Lion (10.7.3). So far I’ve gotten it to work directly with Image Capture and using File > Import from Scanner > … in Preview. But, at best, File > Import > Document (via Image Capture) > … in DEVONthink Pro Office just displays a blank page in its scanner window after scanning. I had partial success with the new scanner plugin (public beta 2), but now it’s not finding the scanner even after unplugging and plugging it back in and restarting DTPO multiple times. When it briefly worked it only scanned an item from the image, even with “Auto selection” set off and manually selecting the region. Also, VueScan never finds the scanner even though it disables Image Capture usage until unplugging/replugging it.

My LiDE 50, never tested on Lion before it unfortunately died, always worked reliably on Snow Leopard. So far I’m hesitant to install driver software available on Canon’s site to see if that resolves the forementioned issues, though I’ll surely return it if it remains this dysfunctional.

-sjk

44. Lyle Johnson says:

DEVONthink Pro crashed on me once yesterday while I was trying out the new scanner plugin, but I couldn’t tell you what I was doing at the time so I’m not yet ready to file a bug report. I can tell you generally that it’s working fine with my Canon Pixma MP490 scanner, and this is a welcome improvement to the previous scanning workflow. Thanks for this!

45. Sherman Wilcox says:

DTPO crashed once when I first installed this beta plugin, but it seems to be working well with my Canon MP990 over WiFi. Much appreciated!

46. Ken L says:

Does not work with my Epson D-30 or Epson V33/300 but both are supported by Image Capture and work with Image Capture

@ Ken L: Have you contacted our customer support? Blog comments are hardly suitable for support.