The Mountain Lion and our apps

Quite a few people have asked whether our apps are compatible with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or not. As we are always updating our apps quickly for any new OS X release if there are issues we didn’t find it worth mentioning. But, just in case: There are some smaller issues of especially DEVONthink Pro Office with Mountain Lion, e.g. the not functioning Mail plugin (see below). But all in all all of our are working also on OS X 10.8. We will publish maintenance updates for all our apps, which will, of course, be also properly signed and so produce no Gatekeeper warnings.

BTW: The Mail plugin can break with every OS X update. Apple decourages writing plugins for Mail and so deactivates them automatically every now and then.

19 Responses to “The Mountain Lion and our apps”

1. Arne says:

I am having problems with DEVONagent Pro: even a fresh download from your page causes Gatekeeper to complain that you are not a trusted developer. Had to switch Gatekeeper of for this one start and now it is ok.

We know. But we need to update our apps to “fix” this.

3. Tom s. says:

Note that once you run DT once, you can put the Gatekeeper setting back to the default where it was and it will no longer interfere.

If you don’t feel like messing with the settings at all, my understanding is that this works (and is a lot easier). Right click DT’s app icon and choose “Open” the first time you open it. You will be prompted with a warning. Tell the computer everything is OK. My understanding is that you won’t be prompted from then on when you try to open the program.

Tom S.

4. Jim says:

My biggest concern is the Mail plugin. I realize Apple does this kind of thing, but please don’t dismiss it as you appear to have done in your post. That piece is very important to some of us.

@Jim: We have no plans to drop it. I just wanted to say that it can always happen that Apple breaks and and we need to fix it.

6. BillW says:

Any idea when it will be fixed?

@BillW: Yes. When everything is ready and we’re satisfied with its stability.

8. Arno Wouters says:

@Jim: I haven’t upgraded to mountain lion yet, but for previous updates I was able to solve all problems with Mail plugins with MailPlugin Fix: . i guess it will work for Mountain Lion as well.

9. Arno Wouters says:

The url for MailPlugin Fix didn’t came through. Second attempt: http://code2k.net/products/mailpluginfix/

10. JustDaveyB says:

Hopefully my problem with DTP crashing on viewing images (ticket submitted and blamed on a fault with OS X 10.8) will be rectified soon. I would hate to have to revert OS 10.7 to get the full functionality of DTP back.

11. Methos1435 says:

I have a problem with scanner plugin and Mountain Lion. My scanner works very well with Image Capture in OS X but DevonThink crash after scanning. The plugin is Ok with Lion.

(Sorry for my bad english, i am French 🙂 )

@Methos1435: We’ll provide a complete news scan plugin soon that will also be compatible to OS X 10.8.

13. Shakenmilk says:

My vote goes for quick Mail plugin fix under 10.8 !!! I badly need it 🙁

14. Ryan says:

Looks like I’ll be waiting until all the bugs are worked out before purchasing… This looks like a very promising app, but seems that Mountain Lion has caused some issues, and we’ve already fully migrated to it in the office. We’ll check back!

15. Jens says:

Another vote for the Mail plugin – my document workflow has come to a halt. 🙁

16. Karsten says:

Got a problem with Devon Think Pro Office in OSX 10.8: need to make a calendar event out of DTPO, says “ical is not open yet”. Is DTPO still looking for the old ical app?

Yes, it is. We’ll update the script with the next release.

18. Malcolm says:

Have been using Pro Office for quite some time, with no recurrent problems. Just updated to Mountain Lion and am now having very frequent crashes. This happens with simple things like dragging files from one folder to another. I am running the latest version of Pro Office, and have recently rebuilt the database. Any suggestions much appreciated.