Last betas before Christmas: Public beta 3 of our…

Last betas before Christmas: Public beta 3 of our sync technology fixes a few minor but annoying bugs and public… fb.me/1OvZwfiox

13 Responses to “Last betas before Christmas: Public beta 3 of our…”

1. Is there a timeframe for the final release of the sync functionality?

Cheers
    Martin Fuggle

@Martin: Yes, there is 🙂

3. Martin Fuggle says:

I’m a customer – I don’t expect cute answers. What is the timeframe?

@Martin: We have a timeframe, internally. But we don’t publish it because it everything unexpected, from a simple sickness of the responsible developer to unforeseen technical challenges (like last week: Dropbox forced us to re-apply for an API key and we were first rejected because their rules have changed in the last twelve months) could easily break the schedule.

5. Martin Fuggle says:

I understand that – I have a software development company myself. However it would be helpful just to know whether it is likely to be available in Q1 calendar 2013 or maybe later, after all you have released the third beta so it’s not as if the development issues are totally unknown.

Cheers
    Martin

@Martin: It’s likely Q1 as we are already at beta 3 and there is not much left to be done.

7. Thanks – that’s good enough for me.
    Cheers
    Martin

8. James says:

Just wanted to chime in on this: We have been waiting for YEARS for multi-mac DT database syncing that WORKS. Just set the Beta 3 of the sync plugin up between my iMac and my wife/content dev partner’s MacBook pro and it was a SNAP. Very fast over direct syncing and hopefully it will finally address our desperate need to centralize our data so we can work together instead of in parallel. Awesome stuff. 🙂

James

9. jonno says:

I have had repeated “fatal” problems with the previoous beta versions to date on my “mother of all DT databases” which is at 8 gigB. It works fine on smaller DB files. Are there any file size issues? Anyway I will wait for the official release now….

Also I assume syncing will work with the main DB stored on a NAS drive, being accessed by multiplemacs – at present this can creates file permissions mayhem in my experience.

thanks
    jonno

@jonno: Storing the database on the NAS is not recommended. With our sync technology the database stays on your computer and you sync it with a sync store on the NAS. All other workplaces do the same (download it from the sync store, sync with the sync store). The sync feature has no file size issue as far as we can tell. Please describe the problem to our developer as laid out in the Read Me accompanying the beta.

11. Harold says:

Finally I went on with testing syncing a version of DTOP (2.4.3.) and DTP (2.4.3) by WebDAV on a OSX Lion (10.8.2) server and it seems that everything works very fine. I used the public beta 3 add on. Two computers can sync independently off site to a dedicated server of my own. All databases sync to a seperate open database filestructure on the server. New clients can import from the WebDAV server to a specific local folder. Sync does what is promised. Point of attention has to be paid to the interface of the sync add on in the preference menu. It can be more clear what database is used. Now I’m waiting for a new update of DevonThink… hopefully it comes fast so I can deploy the software to my customers.

12. Volker says:

What are the restrictions / complication to have the sync functionality used with a NAS for it not to be recommended ?
    I am looking to set it up on a Synology NAS.
    Would be great if you could confirm this to work.

@Volker: Our sync technology works with any mountable storage which includes file servers as well as NAS.