Tuesday tip: Make screenshots directly in your inbox

If you make screenshots and find yourself dragging them to DEVONthink Pro or ProOffice every time, here’s a shortcut for you: You can change the Finder’s location for screenshots to any folder you like. Change this to the Inbox folder and the picture is imported immediately or at least as soon as DEVONthink Pro (Office) is being opened.

Follow this description and set the location for new screenshots to “~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox/” (with the quotes). From now on new screenshots automagically appear in DEVONthink’s default destination (usually the global inbox).

19 Responses to “Tuesday tip: Make screenshots directly in your inbox”

1. Lance says:

I tried this, but I’m getting an “unexpected argument” error. Are you sure the address is right? This is what I typed (all one line):

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox/

Please try to put “~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox/“ into quotes. Does it work then?

3. John says:

For not Terminal savvy users system tools like the free Tinker Tool offer a simple way to change the screenshot destination folder.

Nice tip btw.

4. Seriously says:

Got same unexpected argument error. Did you try this before posting?

@Seriously: Of course I have; I developed the tip. Have you put the path name into quotes as suggested by my other reply? Does that work for you then?

6. David A. says:

I’m having the same problem as beboenisch — with or without the quotes.

7. David A. says:

I mean, same problem as Lance and Seriously. Sorry about that.

@ David A.: You’ve enclosed the path, and only that, in double quotes and it still shows that error? Can you post the exact line you’re entering into the Terminal please?

9. David A. says:

Here’s what I entered and got in response:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location “~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox/”
    2013-05-03 17:39:55.981 defaults[824:707] Unexpected argument Support/DEVONthink; leaving defaults unchanged.

Thanks.

You’ve used typographic quotes. Please try to use straight quotes.

11. David A. says:

Worked! Thanks. (It would be helpful if the blog post itself mentioned this.)

12. Korm says:

Without using quotes for the path to the inbox, you can use:

~/Library/Application\ Support/DEVONthink\ Pro\ 2/Inbox

Terminal does not like spaces in folder names, so escape the space character with backslash-space, as in the above string

13. Lexfx says:

I use this string in a Filemaker script to import Filemaker output directly in DPO (short letters, file notes, memo’s etc). Having recently upgraded to Mavericks, the script no longer works and I cannot find DPO in Library/Application Support. I am running DPO 2.7.2.

@ Lexfx: Is DEVONthink Pro correctly installed? When opened for the first time it will create the necessary files in Application Support fully automatically. Look in ~/Library, not /Library (the ~ stands for your home directory). If you can’t get it to fly please contact our support.

15. Lexfx says:

Eric, thanks for the reply. I think I may have figured it out and found the hidden access to the library in Mavericks. The script now seems to be working.

16. […] capture? We had previously blogged about a procedure to change the location of screen captures, Make screenshots directly in your inbox. Combine that tip with this one and you’ll have a your own version right inside […]

17. Paul Fowler says:

Hey guys,

Is it possible to get this to go to a selected database inbox rather than the global inbox?

Paul

18. jneumann says:

No, it’s not. The Inbox of an individual database does not actually exist, while the Global Inbox is its own file. Since the Global Inbox is an actual file on your filesystem, it is a location that can be pointed to directly.

19. Paul Fowler says:

Ahh got it, okay cool, thanks for explaining that jneumann.