Summer maintenance updates

DEVONagent ExpressToday we have released maintenance updates for DEVONthink, DEVONnote, DEVONagent, and DEVONsphere Express. The updates add a few new features such as automatic updating of thumbnails of formatted notes and web archives for DEVONthink or support for WordPerfect files for DEVONagent. We have also improved the overall performance of all apps and, of course, fixed the bugs you have notified us of.

This release is recommended for all users of DEVONthink, DEVONnote, DEVONagent, and DEVONsphere Express. Get the update using the apps’ built-in Check for Updates, from our website, or, if you purchased your app there, through the Mac App Store.

17 Responses to “Summer maintenance updates”

1. Thad says:

When will DEVONagent Pro 3.51 be available on the Mac App Store?

Can I install 3.51 over my installation of 3.2 from the App Store?

Thanks for the continually updating your wonderful software!

@ Thad: Yes you can. It will accept your Mac App Store “receipt” like a regular license code.

3. Michael says:

Will DevonSphere Express in the App Store be updated? Not showing yet.

@ Michael: No, presumably not. Apple’s strict “sandboxing” rules prohibit the deep level of integration that DEVONsphere Express needs, e.g. to interact with the frontmost web page in Safari or the email message you’re looking at. That’t no longer possible in the App Store world.

5. Jakub says:

I am using the DEVONsphere Express Mac App Store version and it is still 1.5, no updates at all.
    Can I switch to the normal version?

@ Jakub: Yes, you can simply install the free-world version from our website over the App Store version and it will accept the App Store receipt like a regular license code.

7. Jakub says:

eboehnisch, thank You, for this warp 9,9 quick respond.
    This method works really well.

8. Michael says:

I’m having problems installing over the MAS version, what’s the best method? Neither app is “Locked” or “Read Only”.

“The operation can’t be completed because some items had to be skipped. For each item, choose File > Get Info, make sure “Locked” is deselected, and then check the Sharing & Permissions section. When you are sure the items are unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try again.”

@ Michael: Move the old copy to the trash, then move the new one into place. If this doesn’t help please contact our support; blog comments should stay comments 🙂

10. John says:

I have a template for a document which I use for about 99% of the texts I write myself in DEVONthink.

Because of that I had linked cmd-n in the OS preferences to that template and all worked well until this update. The template is not linked anymore to that keyboard shortcut and the OS preferences say this is because something else is using cmd-n already.

I flipped through all menus and sub-menus but I wasn’t able to find the item cdm-n is linked to now. Can you point me at it?

⌘N is linked to Data > New > With Clipboard. It usually is linked to some command in Mac apps that create a new item so maybe something less obviously used by the app itself, like ⌘⌥⌃N would be easier to attach to?

12. John says:

Thank you for your extremely fast reply.

Yes, cmd-n is in use almost everywhere for creating the new main item of an application (a new document, a new diary entry, a new image and so on). And that’s why I attached it in DEVONthink to My Note—that makes 99% of my own stuff, like I said. And I am lazy …

What I wonder about is why my customized shortcut has not priority over the original one. Cmd-n had been in use in DEVONthink before, has it not?

13. John says:

Update: Cmd-n is NOT linked to Daten/Neu/Aus Zwischenablage as it is named when using DEVONthink with a German user interface.

I tried a different shortcut for Meine Notiz (which is the actual German name of my template) and it works. This rules out that somewhere hidden in menu land there is another item of that name which causes trouble.

@ John: Yes, ⌘N was always used by DEVONthink that way. Maybe simply your system is confused? This is all managed by the operating system, not DEVONthink or any other app.

15. John says:

Thanks again, Eric.

I did investigate a little more and switched DEVONthinks’s user interface to English (via Tinker Tool System).

And guess what—my shortcut is back and running.

After I had returned to German it is gone again. Maybe the heat is affecting the OS.

16. sjk says:

John,

You could also add a toolbar item for your template, as korm described in this forum reply:

It’s also explained in Dt’s Help.

There’s a high chance that assigning personal Command- shortcuts will conflict with Apple’s or an app’s default shortcuts, which is why I prefer using multi-modifier shortcuts (like Eric suggested) instead of overriding the defaults.

-sjk

17. sjk says:

That should be “… Command-AnyKey …” shortcuts in my previous reply.

Would be handy if this blog had pre-posting comment previewing or post-posting editing to fix errors. Or at least tell us which markup is supported here. 🙂