One of the most common ways we organize our data is with folders and subfolders (groups and subgroups in DEVONthink). Maybe you are someone that tracks your receipts on a monthly basis. Perhaps you are a teacher that organizes student data in a series of subfolders. Or you may be a real estate agent that creates a folder for each new property you’re working with and you like to have subfolder for pictures, documents, etc. If you ever find yourself reconstructing group hierarchies in DEVONthink, here’s a handy way to create a template that will do most of the work for you.
- In DEVONthink, select Data > New from Template > Open Templates Folder.
- Create a new folder, give a a descriptive name.
- Inside this folder, create a new folder and name it “English.lproj”.
- Inside the .lproj folder, create the folder hierarchy you want to use or drag a hierarchy in if you have one already prebuilt.
- When you’re done, add “.dtTemplate” to the end of the name of the top level folder. You will get a warning from the Finder and you’ll want to okay the addition to the name.
Now when you select Data > New From Template in DEVONthink you will see your new template. Select it and your new group hierarchy should be made for you in an instant!
Here is a very simple example: When I start a new script project I always create a simple hierarchy. So I would have a folder structure like this in the Finder…
New Script Group.dtTemplate English.lproj Script Name (I would change this in DEVONthink after creation) Scriptgrounds Old Versions
When I select Data > New From Template > New Script Group it creates this hierarchy for me and I just need to type the script name on the top level group. Happy Grouping!