Your data in the cloud, transparent and free

Google has dramatically lowered the price for their web storage and so has Amazon.  However, cheap is not free. And free trumps, doesn’t it? Today we’re happy to announce our own cloud service: DEVONglass. Synchronize all your databases transparently between your Macs (and eventually also your iOS devices) completely free-of-cost, no matter how much data you have. To make this service possible we have partnered with governmental institutions in the US and, for our European customers, the UK.

Expect DEVONglass to be added to one of the next updates of DEVONthink and DEVONnote for Mac.

52 Responses to “Your data in the cloud, transparent and free”

1. hayssam says:

UK ? But you did follow the Edward Snowden disclosures ?
    I hope I can host DEVONglass on other servers as well..

2. Ole says:

nice one 😛
    Happy April Fools’ Day

3. I guess it’s one of those (………) stories we got for the April 1st ! IF note, make an official announcement tomorrow April 2cd. But if true, will be nice (with the new iPad/iPhone app too). Thanks.

4. Flexmeister says:

@hayssam: Check the date 😉

5. joyful says:

You have partnered with governmental institutions in the US?? For me that is not a sign of trustworthiness. I will definitely NOT put my data onto servers in the US that are controlled by the US government. – Ed Snowden is not doing his job for nothing.

6. Matthias says:

That’s a great idea. I also heard you will no longer need to do your taxes. Just upload all your bank statements and personal finance docs into DEVONglass and you’re good to go!
    Awesome idea, keep up the good work guys!

7. Richard says:

This is great news. I would be unwilling to put business data into Google cloud solutions for one as here in the UK at least, we need to be careful about data protection issues. So therefore great that you have a UK centric solution. Cant wait for this and to be added the the (new) IOS app.

8. Rob says:

Check the date, guys!

9. Lexfx says:

Which servers are being used for Oceania? Hopefully Europe.

10. Peter Morris says:

Anyone out there also notice the date of release of this news item – April Fools Day?

11. 1april says:

Haha. Good one. Luckily enough, it’s 1st of April today!!

12. Iain Spence says:

Great news, but will really be come useful when it syncs up with iOS devices. At that point, I’ll return fully to Devonthink. Until then, I’ll need to continue to use Dropbox and the normal file system and Devonthink for more occasional projects.

13. Gabriella says:

“To make this service possible we have partnered with governmental institutions in the US and, for our European customers, the UK.” Tell me it’s an April’s Fool, please.

14. Macmanuk says:

Sounds really promising any timescale on ios integration?

15. Macmanuk says:

It will help bring back the evernote users who have had to abandoned you due to the ios solution issues.

16. Patrick says:

Um…has anyone noticed what the date is? April 1st…

17. Amitheonlydtuserwasenseofhumor? says:

Data will be transparent to all users too, right?

Sign me up!

This is awesome. I love you guys.

Seriously when is the next (ios) update? I’m desperate for a better ipad experience.

18. Paul says:

Sounds good in theory, but perhaps you could confirm precisely what “partnered with governmental institutions” means?

19. Steve says:

Can you say APRIL FOOLS, anyone?

20. Jim Mitchell says:

When I first read this, I thought, “Cool! The iOS synching must be close!” However, the more I thought about it the more perplexed I became. So, what you’re saying is, even given the Snowden revelations, you partnered with “government institutions” to store all of our personal data at no charge? Really? Why don’t you partner with someone like SpiderOak? Damn, do you read the news at all?

Free doesn’t exist. Somebody has to pay somewhere. If you are using a “free” service, the majority of the time, your information and/or your privacy is the payment. What would you call the payment for this free, government storage?

Just a few questions:
    1. Is DEVONglass going to be the only option for synching?
    2. What is your encryption method for the synch’d data?
    3. Have you hired a third party to verify your encryption technique?
    4. Where is the review of your protection methods?
    5. Where can I go to get these questions answered if you won’t here?

21. Merol Wan says:

Happy April Fools’ Day! 😛

22. Matthias says:

@Amitheonlydtuserwasenseofhumor: no, you’re not.
    In any case, you are right. I talked to the developers and they told me that everything that gets uploaded is automatically shared, so you need to use the “opt out of sharing” function for every file you want to be private.
    But why would you, really? If don’t have anything to hide? I personally don’t mind…

23. Oliver says:

Finally.

24. Martyn Amos says:

It’s April 1, people!

25. joyful says:

@Matthias:
    Saying ‘I don’t mind is very convenient’.
    What you don’t realize is that you are giving up a right. And with giving that up, you will not just get it back when you change your mind.
    A right is a right is a right. There are lots of beings who wished to have that right, that you just want to give away for “free”.

26. Werner says:

I think it a April 1st Joke!!!!

27. Katrin says:

Happy April 1st

28. Angela Merkel says:

I have already started using your wonderful cloud service. Vielen Dank! -Angela Merkel

29. David Mallon says:

Don’t you think that “partnering” with government websites is a bit like putting your head in a lion’s mouth?

30. will wms says:

Thank you for this great new service. Being a US citizen, I am glad you have paired with some of our fine governmental agencies who have expertise in the IT area. For one, I feel confident that if the NSA is storing my DTPO data, it is secure from random or other governments’ hacker efforts. Again, thank you for bringing this service to us on the auspicious April 1 day.

31. Andrew-Bede Allsop says:

Will it be possible to sign up for this after today? I think this is a foolish idea!

32. Blacs says:

Foolish idea because it’s fools day isn’t it? But the first few minutes you almost got me 😀

33. Jim Mitchell says:

So, if this truly is an April Fools joke, do you really think it good form to build that joke around the security of your customers’ data?

34. hayssam says:

ok, you got me (grrrmmblll)

35. John Maassen says:

This is April Fools right ?

36. Flexmeister says:

@ joyful: It’s disheartening how many people believe that government agencies (or ad companies for that matter) going through their personal data isn’t a big deal, just because they’re not dealing crystal meth.

It’s not just about criminal activity. For one, something that is legal today might not be legal tomorrow. Things change, political systems change, but once your private data is in their databases, it stays there.

Or let’s say you write an episode for a sitcom, and you want to make a joke about hemorrhoids. But, who on earth knows the spelling of that, so you look it up, because of course you don’t want to look like a dumbass. How do you look it up? You enter it into Google and let the “did you mean..?” feature tell you the correct spelling.
    But now Google has saved the fact that you looked up hemorrhoids and will keep this information, connected to your account, probably forever. Maybe you’re lucky and they’ll just show you ads for hemorrhoid cream for a few weeks. Maybe you’re less lucky, and Google shares the fact that hemorrhoids are an area of interest to you with your HMO.

And that’s leaving aside the possibility of those databases getting hacked.

37. Frank says:

1st April

38. Jason says:

If only Devonthink’s longstanding sync woes were not so acute, this might be funny, rather than just plain sad…

Just to officially clear this up: Of course this was an April Fools Day prank 😊. We would never partner with government institutions or share your data with anyone. DEVONthink is all about your data under your control. And it will stay so.

40. Matthias says:

That was fun, I was really tempted to say something but I didn’t want to spoil everything.
    I hope I didn’t offend anybody with my comments, especially @joyful, you did make a good point about how privacy is a right and that nobody should give up such right in exchange for convenience.

41. JSM says:

I love a good April Fool’s Joke.

This was NOT a good joke as it is too close to home.

I wish that eboehnisch would finish the over the air sync to the cloud with selected downloads of files to the iOS devices as he has been speaking about for YEARS!

VERY SAD reinforcement of the shortcomings of the software.

I am about to give up.

42. Andrew-Bede Allsop says:

Personally JSM I found it amusing and took it in the spirit that it was meant. 🙂

43. Jim Mitchell says:

I’m glad you did, Andrew. However, I second the comment from JSM. Apparently, you’ve had no skin in the game or requirements put on you for the security and safety of information. This one hit a little close to home.

I also agree that, while DEVONthink is second to none in the collection and organization of information, retrieving it on anything other than the computer, when you have to have something you didn’t anticipate in advance, is a complete PITA and impossible if you can remote into that machine.

44. JScottA says:

So…if this was a joke…poor taste and dumb for poking a very sore spot.

@ JScottA: Do you mean syncing between Macs or sync between Macs and iOS devices?

46. Mikael Bergkvist says:

Considering the bad (nonexistent?) support for syncing this was not remotely funny….
    Spend some time fixing a functioning ipad app and get the syncing working instead of spending time on pathetic jokes.

47. Sascha says:

“JScottA says:
    April 9, 2014 at 17:04 UTC
    Because of the lack of good syncing (which forces me to keep using Evernote), this joke is not funny. This is a serious issue for people that need to have access to a lot of data.”

I agree with JScottA. The biggest problem of the actual DTPO is the lack of real-time sync. So this joke is really not funny.

@ Mikael Bergvwist: Please note that we have synching between Macs and it’s no secret that we’re working on a complete rewrite of DEVONthink To Go.

49. […] An April Fool’s Joke about Privacy. Some people were apparently fooled, and others didn’t enjoy the joke so much, but the nice thing about the company is that they are a bit quirky and fun, but also very serious about their products and security. […]