DEVONthink To Go 1.5 hits the App Store — and crashes

This weekend Apple finally released DEVONthink To Go 1.5 to the App Store. Among many little changes the new version comes with a brand new iOS 8 extension for clipping data from many other apps. Unfortunately a bug crept into the code with a last-minute change that crashes the app after adding data to the database from e.g. the Clip to DEVONthink extension.

We’ve immediately submitted a bugfix update but there’s no way we can speed up the review process at Apple. So it might again take a few days before you can get the update.

We apologize for these inconveniences.

Update: Unfortunately Apple rejected our first attempt on the update. We’ve already solved the issue reported by Apple and submitted a new binary which is now again waiting for review.

22 Responses to “DEVONthink To Go 1.5 hits the App Store — and crashes”

1. D3DHemmer says:

Welcome in the new world of Apple.
    It can be better and better….. will it?

2. tektrader says:

I was a loyal DEVONthink user until a few years ago. One of the reasons for my abandoning DEVONthink: the atrocious quality of their iOS app.

One small observation: the words used to describe the latest SNAFU is revealing: “a bug crept in to the code”. As if bugs had agency and its not really a mistake made by developers.

@ tektrader: Sorry for the wording “crept”. We’re not native English speakers as you have clearly noticed and maybe not as adept as needed to avoid possible misunderstandings.

4. ralph says:

It also crashes when I try to sync my mobile devices.

@ Ralph: We are endlessly sorry for this. We hope that Apple releases the bug fix as soon as possible. On the Mac and our own website we would be able to fix it in minutes.

6. rich says:

Will we ever see 2.0? Can you even committ to a quarter? This should be in testing by now.

7. Luc Beaulieu says:

That explains much of the problem I have been having. DTTG crashed after using the the clip extension.

However, I also found out that I cannot sync with my Mac anymore either. I have reinstalled DTTG and more, still cannot:
    1- Sync with my Mac (this issue had been solved in the past and I had a very stable DTPO and DTTG sync for more than a year now). However with the new version, the problem is back.
    2- Cannot clip or even “open in” a PDF or other documents from iOS Mail, iAnnotate and other to DTTG.

In both cases described above, DTTG crashes. Once it had crashed once, I cannot start DTTG, it keeps crashing when opening. I have to reinstall from App Store…

Please do something, DTTG is critical to my digital workflow.

8. Rick says:

Thanks for your work on fixing the bug. Even Apple struggles with bugs (case in point, iOS 8, so it shouldn’t come as any surprise to us that a small developer group with limited resources has bug issues as well. Thanks for catching them quickly and resubmitting.

9. Leider kollabiert die Anwendung beim Versuch Texte zu erstellen bzw. zu öffnen und das nach dem aktuellen Update vom 31.10.14.

@ Ralf Freywald: Passiert dies auf einem aktuellen Gerät mit A7-Prozessor? Wir sind hier schon auf der Fehlersuche. Leider trat dieser Fehler bei allen Tests im Simulator von Apple nicht auf, nur auf einem echten 64—Bit-Gerät.

11. Rene says:

Will the update also fix RTF document open problem which crashes DTGO?

12. ralph says:

Same problem here with an iPad Air (A7): can add a new RTF note and save it. But opening it will crash DT.

13. DT 2 GO stürzt mit neuem Update immer noch ab.
    Ich steige jetzt aus – es reicht !

14. DT 2 GO – noch was “lustiges” – sync ist auch weg – klasse Job !

@ Ralf Freywald: Wann genau? Bei RTFs mit unterstrichenem Text? Das hatten wir übersehen und ein Update liegt schon bei Apple. Den Sync haben wir aber nicht einmal angefasst, das müsste etwas anderes sein. Haben Sie schon einmal versucht, Ihren Router neu zu starten? So erkennt er eventuell die neue Signatur des Apps (Netzwerk-Sicherheit ist extrem komplex).

@ Rene: Yes, except for documents with underlined text. But this should be fixed in 1.5.3 which is already waiting for review at Apple.

17. Kriss says:

Well, I was in need of some of my personal info today and I went to open the app on my iPhone 6, it opened, then closed. Tried deleting the app and reinstalling, after the sync to my mac, it just does the same thing. I can’t believe I paid $15 bucks for this.

@ Kriss: Have you installed the latest update to version 1.5.5? And after opening, do you get the chance to send a crash report so that we can check from here what is happening?

19. Kriss says:

Hi there. Yes I did install the update. The crash report flashed for a moment but it crashes so quickly I don’t think it sends. I should mention that I added some files to my desktop app before syncing such as pdf’s and it won’t open since.

20. Emine says:

Hallo,
    Ich habe Devonthink 2 go auf meinem iphone. leider stürzt die App immer wieder ab. Update ist installiert. Router neu gestartet. Aber immer wieder Abstürze. Was kann ich noch machen? Soll ich die App neu installieren? Dann sind doch aber die ganzen Daten weg?

21. Kriss says:

On further exploration, if I delete the program, then reinstall, it will sync and open fine. It will continue to run fine until I exit out of the background app, then it will not open again.

@ Emine: Könnten Sie uns bitte eine Nachricht an den Kundendienst senden inklusive ob Sie einen Absturzbericht senden konnten (die App sollte Sie dazu auffordern)?