Index iCloud Drive with DEVONthink Pro (Office)

iCloud DriveiCloud Drive is Apple’s reincarnation of the iDisk. Install the Index iCloud Drive script to add all user-created folders in iCloud Drive to your inbox. User-created means all folders that are not application-specific such as the Numbers of Pages folders.

Install the script from within DEVONthink Pro or Pro Office using Scripts > More Scripts. Alternatively click here to open the Support Assistant and follow the link to Install Extras. The script will become available via the Scripts > Index submenu.

18 Responses to “Index iCloud Drive with DEVONthink Pro (Office)”

1. Cassady says:

Hi!

Just installed this – but nothing is shown? Activated the Script – so can see the iCloud Drive “folder/group”, with the index symbol, but nothing is being pulled in?

Any suggestions?

Have you copied files to your iCloud Drive that is not saved there from an app but simply copied with the Finder? The script has no access to the virtual “folders” that hold app-specific files.

3. Cassady says:

Facepalm.

That did it.
    I clearly didn’t understand the “user-created” bit – thanks for the prompt reply!

4. […] the wild. DEVONthink 2.8.2 fully supports indexing files and folders stored in iCloud Drive. An additional script indexes all user-generated folders on iCloud Drive without manually adding folders or documents to […]

5. kaps says:

Does this mean that I can create a folder eg. Devon and place all the files that I want into that folder. Would it be same as a database ?

@ kaps: No, it means that you can put documents on your iCloud Drive and also manage them from inside a database just like any other indexed files on your hard drive.

7. John Bramhall says:

I’ve moved a DT database to iCloud; it runs nicely through the OS X DT application – I was hoping I would now be able to access this database from one of my IOS devices (phone); was I mistaken?

@John Bramhall: Unfortunately this is not possible. The apps on the Mac and on iOS are completely different, in part due to the different way the devices itself work and other constraints such as memory and CPU.

9. oplust says:

Hi, is it possible to store the DT database itself on iCloud Drive? Is there any advantage to import documents into a DT database instead of indexing? Thank you for your help.

@oplust: Theoretically you could do it but you would have to make absolutely sure the sync process is done before you open it from another Mac. We don’t directly support iCloud Drive as in this case Apple would require us to stop selling DEVONthink ourselves in our store. Importing makes databases completely portable; you can simply copy a database to another machine and all documents travel with it. Indexing means that you need to make sure to bring the documents along and place them into the same folder structure than on the original computer.

11. oplust says:

@eboehnisch Thank you very much for your quick and detailed answer. May I have one more question, please? Since I read what you wrote about iCloud Drive, then is there any known limitation for accessing the database simulatenously if it is stored in a NAS system on the local network instead on iCloud Drive? I mean is it possible for more than one DEVONthink clients to access the same database at the same time if it is stored on a NAS and do the synchronization without a problem? I would like to avoid using Dropbox but would like to find a solution for such synchronization. I truly appreciate again your help and by the way, DEVONthink is truly awesome.

@ oplust: Think of a DEVONthink Pro database like a Word document; you cannot read and write to it from two workplaces at the same time. If you would like to share a database between multiple Macs using an NAS we’d recommend to use the built-in sync function to put a “Sync Store” on your NAS. Steps: 1) Create database on one Mac. 2) Put it into a Sync Store on your NAS. 3) Install DEVONthink Pro on your other Mac. 4) Use sync to download your database from the Sync Store and keep it in sync.

13. oplust says:

@eboehnisch Thanks again very much! I now created the database locally on my iMac and put the sync storage on the NAS. I understand the concept now, thank you. The only problem that I have is when I try to import the database by using the sync storage on the NAS (the original database is obviously still stored locally on the iMac) on my other computer, a MacBook Pro then it finds the database, however it keeps giving me the following error message: Tags: (Could not load a record. (Could not scan data. Data wasn’t encoded properly?))

Sorry for still bothering you (sincerely), but do you have any idea why is this happening? Thanks again!

@ oplust: I guess this is beyond what we should do in a blog comment (this is not a support channel). Could you please contact our customer support with this question? Thank you.

15. oplust says:

@eboehnisch Thank you. I opened a support ticket.

16. pbdoetmee says:

Hi there.

I read in this thread that it should be possible to place a DEVONthink (Pro Office) database in the iCloud Drive folder. However, when I try to create a new database there, the folder is “blocked”, meaning greyed out, not accessible.

Is there a way or trick to solve this? Thanx in advance for answering my question.

Kind regards,
    Peter Bloemendaal,
    The Netherlands.

17. pbdoetmee says:

I would like to add that my plan is to place a SyncStore in iCloud Drive, not a database itself. I do not knwo if that makes any difference regarding my question. I understandn it is not wise to put a database into a sync folder.

Regards,
    Peter.

18. jneumann says:

It is really the safest policy to NOT put a DEVONthink database or local syncStore in any automatically syncing location. Note that many developers have not added iCloud specific support.