iOS 8 extension and more: DEVONthink To Go 1.5.3

DEVONthink To Go on iPadDEVONthink To Go 1.4.3, which passed Apple’s review a couple of weeks ago, was the first shot at fixing issues with rendering rich text documents on iOS 8. Unfortunately it didn’t fix all these issues. Today Apple released our update to version 1.5.3 which now again shows also RTFD documents and fixes a number of issues introduced in versions 1.5 through 1.5.2.

But that’s not all. We’ve also added an iOS action extension for clipping data and improved the compatibility to iOS 8, the iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus. You can now create new documents with the current clipboard contents, too, and use cross-links to a specific page of a PDF. We’ve also made the Sync button easier accessible, updated the TextExpander support to version 3.0, and made the app run in 64 bit. Finally the update fixes some other bugs such as stretched images and broken item links.

We recommend this update to all users of DEVONthink To Go. Get it directly through the App Store app on your iOS device.

14 Responses to “iOS 8 extension and more: DEVONthink To Go 1.5.3”

1. […] DEVON technologies today released an updated version of its iOS DEVONthink app: […]

2. Joe says:

Updated, and now the application crashes when launched (iPhone 5, at least)

3. JMTee says:

Hi,

DTTG crashes on both iPhone and iPad after today’s update!

JMTee

@Joe, @JMTee: Which version of iOS do you use? Does is already crash before your are asked to send a crash report? We have not received many crash reports of v1.5.3 so far.

5. Joe says:

I’m running iOS 8.1.1 (so it’s the newest). The app crashes before I’m asked to send a report, so you wouldn’t receive any crash reports. It works fine on my iPad Air2 but not my iPhone 5. Could it be something with the 64 bit chip?

I went into diagnostics and got the crash report from the device itself. Here is a link, if that helps.

6. HOV says:

I have the “legacy” iPad (running iOS 5.1.1). Also for me DevonThink to Go 1.5.3 crashes every time on launch.

@Joe: Thank you very much, this helps a lot, actually. It seems that something that came in via the action extension “got stuck”. I will try to fix it; if you want to use DEVONthink To Go again right away I recommend uninstalling it (which clears its container, too) and reinstalling it from the App Store. Sorry for the inconveniences.

@HOV: It may well be something we added for compatibility to current iOS versions broke backward compatibility. I am just investigating using an old iPad here.

9. JMTee says:

Hi, same situation as with @Joe. I re-installed and got DTTG to work on both iPad and iPhone, but now it is the same situation again: DTTG quits immediately after launch. Newest version of iOS both on iPad Air and iPhone 5.

10. Jason says:

Ok… So we are at 1.5. Half way to 2 right??? Or not. Will we ever see the mythical DTTG2 with actual syncing?

11. Andrew Feldstein says:

I am also having the same problem. DTG crashes immediately upon launch. I removed and reinstalled it a couple of days ago. It launched once and, the next time I tried to launch it crashed immediately.

@Andrew Feldstein: I couldn’t reproduce the issue so far but we’ve received a number of crash reports that let me presume it has something to do with the action extension handling. We’re at it and will post an update as soon as possible.

@Jason: Yes, we will. The updates of 1.5.x are mainly to keep it working until 2.0 is in shape.

14. […] Version 1.5 added iOS 8 support including an action extension. It also adapts to the new display sized of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. […]