DEVONthink 2.8.8 improves Tinderbox integration & more

Tinderbox and DEVONthinkJust before Thanksgiving and right in time for the Eastgate’s release of Tinderbox 6.4 we’ve made DEVONthink 2.8.8 available. The update improves, among many other things, the integration with Tinderbox. Multiple copied notes can now be pasted to DEVONthink including backlinks and tags; they become plain or rich text notes depending on the pasted contents.

DEVONthink 2.8.8 also makes working with PDFs more comfortable, reuses existing groups when importing contacts, and adds newly created groups immediately to the recent destinations. For bookmarks and clicked links DEVONthink Pro and Pro Office 2.8.8 use downloaded offline archives when there’s no internet connection. The update also fixes a number of issues, some of them related to OS X El Capitan. DEVONnote received an update to version 2.8.8, too, with better VoiceOver support and bug fixes.

We recommend these free updates to all users. Get the new versions directly by using the apps’ update function or our Download page. If you purchased the software on the App Store, use the App Store application to update your copy. And don’t miss our 🦃 Black Friday deals.

8 Responses to “DEVONthink 2.8.8 improves Tinderbox integration & more”

1. andreas says:

Great news!

Could you kindly elaborate on

– firstly: how one copies (multiple) notes in Tinderbox (or do you mean the “share-function” within Tinderbox?) in order to
    – secondly: paste them into Devonthink?

Thanks in advance,
    andreas

2. jneumann says:

Specifics for Tindrbox are really Eastgate questions. However, you can select multiple notes and copy and paste them.

3. andreas says:

Thanks for your immediate reply.

Please tell exactly, how and where in Devonthink one pastes the beforehand in Tinderbox copied notes. Since that really isn’t self-explanatory at all.

Cheers!

4. Jason says:

Any news on improved syncing with DevonThink To Go??

We don’t talk about unpublished deadlines, Jason. But be assured we’re working hard to have news here as soon as ever possible.

6. David Topps says:

I too am puzzled by this. It would seem to be straightforward advice and a simple operation. But I cannot get it to work. I suspect that there is something simple I am overlooking.
    Situation: I have TinderBox 6.4 and DTPO 2.8.9, running on OS X 10.10.3 — I can select and Copy to clipboard one or multiple Tinderbox notes. But when I flip to DTPO, the Edit | Paste option is greyed out – nothing to paste. I also tried a simple drag&drop but this does not work either.
    I am intrigued by the blog post’s mention of backlinks and tags – I would love to see this working. I cross-link to/from DTPO and Evernote, OneNote, Scrivener so love when this works. But the backlinks would be even more terrific… so how do we do it?

7. David Topps says:

Well, I just found my answer. And I am just a wee bit annoyed that it is not at all documented in DTPO or any of the DevonTechnologies resources that I searched, but that I had to track this down on Eastgate’s documentation.

The solution is to use Data | New | From Clipboard (or Cmd-N) in DTPO. That might be obvious to those who live and breathe DTPO. For the rest of us, not so. (And I have used DTPO lots over the past 3 years so I am not exactly a newbie.)

That’s right, is’s currently only documented on Tinderbox’ side. We will add a paragraph about this to DEVONthink’s documentation too. Thank you for letting us know.