Tool tip: Need to move a file? Yoink it!

Yoink IconThere are many times we need to move a file from one place to another. On Macs with larger screens, you can easily open and arrange windows to drag and drop between them. However, if you’re on a laptop or don’t have the luxury of using a second monitor, this is often not an easy task. Often we resort to using Spaces in Mission Control to give ourselves as much space per application as we can. This can make file moving even trickier.

Enter a handy little utility with a funny name: Yoink from Eternal Storms Software. This is a little dropshelf where you can drop files to easily transfer them from one place to another. It appears in all spaces making app-to-app transfers quick and easy. You can also use it to transfer files between different windows in the same space. And it’s even possible to set it to appear near your cursor when it detects you’re dragging an item! It’s very reasonably priced and worth the money.

10 Responses to “Tool tip: Need to move a file? Yoink it!”

1. Richard Guay says:

I prefere DropZone 3 – https://aptonic.com/

It is highly customizable with Ruby.

2. jneumann says:

It’s nice that life is full of choices.
    :^)

3. jazzy says:

@Richard Guay – I tried both. Yoink is more ergonomic for me and can operate on any of information: fragement of text, link etc. Not only on files.

4. Moses says:

Yoink is great and have used it for years. Oddly enough I’ve been wanting this feature within DEVONthink itself.

Now that you’re promoting Yoink it seems like a good time to ask for a feature request: Please either make DT work with Yoink so I can drag a document from one group in DT to Yoink, then drag it out of Yoink into another group within DT, or add a similar shelf system in DT directly — would be very useful!

5. jneumann says:

It is already possible to drag an item from DEVONthink into Yoink, then into another location in Yoink. (It’s much of what I have been using it for.)

6. John Maassen says:

Good reminder I had not used this app for a while because I got a new computer and forgot how useful Yoink is.

7. Moses says:

Jneumann,

I see now that Yoink does work for copying a document from one DT database to another database, but what I was trying is not working:
    I can’t get it to move a document from one group in DT to another group in DT in the same database.

Also, with the copying between databases I can’t get it to just “Move” the document instead of copying, as is the default nature of dragging between databases within DT.

8. jneumann says:

as is the default nature of dragging between databases within DT.

Yoink is not part of DEVONthink, so no you cannot move files between databases.
    As far as moving between groups in the same database, there are other mechanisms than Yoink for this.
    Drag and Drop from one to the other.
    Right-click > Move > …
    Window > Show Groups and Tags
    … etc.

9. Moses says:

I am aware of all those other methods of moving items in DT, but sometimes a “shelf” like Yoink would be much easier, especially when you have multiple databases open and the lists of groups gets very long.

So, my feature request still stands, it would be nice to have a built-in shelf to temporarily stash items in DT, then they could be moved, duplicated, or replicated when dragging out of the shelf.