Making progress

DEVONthink To Go 2.0b10We promised to keep you updated on our progress with DEVONthink To Go 2.0 and our new sync technology. Two days ago we released beta 10 to our beta testers. The last new beta testers received their Test Flight invitations today.

The next betas are going to see the addition of a second sync mode. It downloads only the metadata at first and the actual documents on demand or automatically when needed. This will make it possible to take out even larger databases and leave the lion’s share of the data up to Dropbox or your WebDAV service. Organizing data as well as searching will be possible at any time but viewing documents will obviously require an active internet or local network connection. In addition, we now add accessibility tags and fix reported issues.

Our next milestone is a public beta of the Mac parts. Expect to read about it here as soon as we deem it ready.

24 Responses to “Making progress”

1. Jason says:

Any chance of getting invited to the beta? Very interested in helping out.

@ Jason: We called for participants a few weeks ago. The number of seats is restricted by Apple so the sign-up for the beta test is already closed. Sorry.

3. Adam says:

Could you please share your upgrade policy for iOS apps?
    I’ve recently purchased Devonthink Office Pro license and I’m looking out for a way to take my data with me when I travel light (iPad an phone only).
    So going to the point: will ver 2 be paid upgrade to existing users?

4. […] ∞ Devonian Times » Making progress […]

5. Soundsmitten says:

Thanks for the progress update! I have a friend on the beta, and she seems to be very excited.

@ Adam: DEVONthink To Go 2.0 will be a free update for all existing users. We might later add bigger new features as in-app purchases.

7. Olaf Christiansen says:

Tos for the new version, I`m very satisfied. Only 2 things which I could not find.

where is the sync with the mac
    still don’t show numbers and outliner documents

otherwise looks very good
    regards
    Olaf

8. jneumann says:

@olaf: Glad you’re liking it but use the forums for questions and report bugs to our Support system. Thanks!

9. Michael says:

Hallo,
    ich bin Eigentümer einer Hausverwaltung und teste gerade zusammen mit Scansnap die Funktionalität des papierlosen Büros und scanne sämtliche Rechnungen, Mieterschreiben, etc.
    Für unterwegs bin ich sehr an Devonthink To Go interessiert.
    Können sie mich bitte in die Liste als Beta-Tester eintragen, ich nutze das Programm täglich und kann gerne ausführliche Rezensionen schreiben.
    Viele Grüße aus Berlin
    Michael Skora

@ Michael: As already announced in an earlier post, Apple only lets us sign up a limited number of testers. We have reached this limit already so we had to close the beta test sign-up a few weeks ago. But, DEVONthink To Go 2.0 is in its final development phase so the final release is not very far away.

11. Eduardo says:

Eric, any update on when the public beta will be made available? DT To Go 2 sounds like a major advance. I’m eager to try it out and reap the benefits. Even if it’s not quite ready, would you give us a sense of when you *expect* to make a public beta available? That way I can put a date to check the site in my iCal. Thanks!

@ Eduardo: As soon as we have a date that we can publish, you’ll read it here.

13. Brian says:

Progress sounds good, but I’m a bit confused. I signed up for the beta but have not heard anything more about since the initial email. When you say the “last new beta testers received..” do you mean that ALL the signed up beta testers should have received the invite from Apple by now?

@ Brian: Exactly so. I will check you address on Monday when I am back at my
    Mac and email you.

15. Polina says:

It would be great if eventually Devon to Go worked with apple pen. I take a lot of notes by hand on my ipad and now have to make loops with other apps before I can save them to devon think

@ Polina: That is definitely on the table but for a 2.x release.

17. Straight-Potter says:

Have the new DTTG 2 a support for Apple Pencil?
    I need this for annotate pdf…

Thanks for feedback!

@ Straight-Potter: Not in the initial version 2.0 but it’s on our to-do list for the post-release time.

19. Jus Rod says:

Hello, will users of DT to go 1.0 be required to purchase 2.0 as a standalone app? I love DT for Mac but have found DT to go 1.0 for iOS not that useable despite paying full price for it. Thanks!

20. Straight-Potter says:

Ok, Thanks for Information…

When is GTTG 2 is available ??

@ Jus Rod: We have repeatedly stated that 2.0 will be a free update. We have not changed our minds here.

@ Straight-Potter: As soon as we have a date to share we will do so.

22. Peter says:

iTunes shows that DEVONthink To Go is available in the US Store only. Why is that?

@ Peter: According to schedule 2 of the App Store distribution agreement Apple does not collect taxes for any sales except in the US, the EU, Australia, and selected other countries. For all other countries we as DEVONtechnologies would be responsible for a) knowing what taxes to collect, b) pay the taxes. As in most of the other countries we couldn’t even read the tax documentation (e.g. in Cyrillic or Taiwanese) so we had to restrict sales to the set of ‘safe’ countries. Please feel free to contact Apple regarding this situation. We’re closely watching changes in Apple’s agreement and will start selling to other countries as soon as it’s legally possible for us.

24. Peter says:

I found the way to buy the app. Thank you.