DEVONthink 2.9 is here with light-speed & super-safe sync

After three betas our next-generation sync has finally reached production status. Today we’ve released DEVONthink 2.9 with our completely rewritten synchronization. It’s built for speed, robustness and flexibility. It works both on the local network, with any removable volume, as well as with internet-based services such as Dropbox or WebDAV servers.

Next-gen sync compared to other services

Our next-generation sync is up to 688 times faster than DEVONthink 2.8 and up to 70 times faster than competing services. It uses less disk or cloud space and requires much fewer files and folders. Also, it consumes up to 80 percent less bandwidth, less RAM, and less computing power. Finally, all data sent through the network or stored on Dropbox or a WebDAV server is AES 256 bit encrypted. Neither the service providers nor us can read your data if you don’t allow it.

In addition multiple clients can upload and download data to and from sync stores simultaneously without waiting for each other. And by synchronizing also indexed files and folders you can use DEVONthink 2.9 to synchronize any number of folders in the file system with another computer. Faster than with the cloud services’ original clients and not limited to just one folder.

Our next-generation sync is the basis for synchronizing with the upcoming DEVONthink To Go 2.0 too. For maximum compatibility both platforms share the very same code and will so similarly benefit from all future improvements.

We recommend these free updates to all users. Get the new versions directly by using the apps’ update function or our Download page. If you purchased the software on the App Store, use the App Store application to update your copy as soon as it has passed Apple’s review.

59 Responses to “DEVONthink 2.9 is here with light-speed & super-safe sync”

1. Andreas says:

Thank you. Sync with box and dropbox works really fast and stable since the first beta.

Andreas

2. Flexo says:

“And by synchronizing also indexed files and folders you can use DEVONthink 2.9 to synchronize any number of folders in the file system with another computer.”

Wait, what? Are you saying you created an encrypted folder sync using choose-your-own-service as an aside..?

3. Chris says:

I had no idea you were employing magicians…

@ Flexo: We create a sync store (folder) on whatever service and use it for securely syncing our data.

5. Robert M. Potter says:

ERIX Wow…are you serious..faster syncing of databases and simultaneous syncing. If this does as advertised, This will solve alot of file issues between lab top to take on the road and the home base. Desk Top I have been waiting for a solution to “cloud” base my databases on drop box to sync and if the slow slow sync is finally solved, I really really will be a happy camper
    Best Regards,

Robert M Potter

@ Robert M. Potter: And you will soon be able to connect your iPhone and iPad to the same Dropbox sync store too.

7. Ravexave says:

Is syncing with Dropbox encrypted?

8. Ravexave says:

Sorry, did not read the text carefully enough. It is encrypted, of course.

9. Dave says:

Congrats on the new system! Can’t wait for the iOS updates. How is this working out for people? I’m generally wary of .0 releases. I realize it’s been through a few betas, but hitting the general public sometimes brings up new issues. Also, are there any further documentation for migrating an existing Dropbox and Mac to Mac sync to the new system?

@ Dave: No further documentation. Simply delete your existing sync store on Dropbox and start anew.

11. Schwarzleser says:

Sounds fantastic (except that one cannot continue using the old sync stores but has to set them up again, which will cost at least some upload time), and I’m looking forward to the new version! I’ve got two questions: Can DT handle https connections for WebDAV, and are there any plans to include OneDrive as a possible repository for sync stores?
    Regards,
    Schwarzleser

12. PB says:

Hi folks. Did migration from old to new sync last night with 4 databases, one of them containing more than 121.000 files. Kept the old syncstores just to be safe. One database synced to DropBox, the three others local on an AirPort. Must say: it worked 100% quick and prefect. My compliments for the good work!

@ Schwarzleser: Yes, it handles https: connections for WebDAV. We might add support for OneDrive depending on user feedback.

@ PB: Thank you!

15. Marcel says:

Thank you for the “new” function!

Do you now, when the iOS-version will be come?

@ Marcel: Yes, we do 🙂

17. Marcel says:

🙂

And when we will know it?

🙄 🙂

18. Totley Rover says:

A huge improvement, thanks for this update.

19. Peter says:

Heaps faster and seems to work well for 2 way sync between laptop and desktop. I do miss the sync on database open/close that was available with the old sync. Now I need to manually sync before closing to ensure I get the most recent changes sync’d out.

20. Tom Christopher says:

A huge breakthrough! The new sync technology is stable, fast and easy to use.

Thank you!

21. Dwight McKay says:

I’m at the point of setting up the new sync between my Macs and I want to be ready for DTTG 2.0. Which sync source should I be choose?

Will the DTTG 2.0 support iCloud Drive as a sync option?

@ Dwight McKay: iCloud Drive will not be supported as iOS allows, unlike the Mac, only very limited access to iCloud Drive. Dropbox, WebDAV, and direct connections work just fine.

23. Andre Silva says:

I’m sure it must be awesome…I just can’t set up my Synology as webdav any more…everything was finally working, then I upgraded and when I try to setup the connection again, it gives me all sorts of error message, and nothing else…oh, updates, updates…

24. Robert M. Potter says:

Eric, regarding the sync stores. I read a comment that one has to start new sync stores for each database. Question – so there is no migration between old and new? Do you have a suggested protocol to use to set up and quick test before deleting the old sync store and the other question is once the program is upgraded, can one even access the sync stores created in the prior version.
    Thanks
    Robert

25. PB says:

Hi there.

My day 2 of “conversion” from old to new sync. Still very impressed by the speed, see my prev. comment. Tonight a “pulled over” a database with over 200.000 images and graphics via Airport Extreme: worked smooth. Not a single file lost :-). Great.

Got a suggestion though. The sync is that speedy, that I really do not know any more if a sync is going on or not. Is it possible to make a kind of spinning thing that indicates a sync is running? E.g. in the sync button? Would be great!

Kind regards,
    Peter.

26. PB says:

Addition to my comment: of course, when a large amount of data is synced, we can see the progress in the Activity window. But when we sync just a few files, than a spinning wheel would be very handy :-).

27. steve says:

5 hours later and I still cant get it to snyc. I have finally got the database files for one computer in the local devonthink server. completely by accident . The instructions are written by the people who know how to do it because they wrote the code. not for the frustrated people who cant figure it out. have tried drop box , local, icloud . I cannot get these two computers to get the data from the other computer. are the port numbers suppose to match the number at the end of the local server ? I am about to give up. I got together 3 to share library in icloud in about 4.5 minutes. but i have tons of data in devonthink.

28. Travis A. Jackson says:

It may just be my setup (or the fact that I’m trying to manage the update from a hotel in Europe when my office is in Chicago). To wit, I did the new upload on my office computer (after having synced databases using the old stores). When I attempted to sync with my laptop here a few thousand miles away, I wasn’t presented with the option to merge databases (and, yes, the UUIDs are the same). Instead, the local computer started downloading the (metadata of the?) database from the new sync store and then, a few hours (and a couple of gigabytes) later when that finished, started uploading to the sync store. Apparently, no one else has experienced this, but if someone has, I’d love to know how you worked things out.

29. jneumann says:

@Andre Silva: This comments section is a poor support channel. Check out this Forum post: http://forum.devontechnologies.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22161 and if that doesn’t help, please open a support ticket at http://helpdesk.devontechnologies.com. Thanks.

30. jneumann says:

@Robert Potter: No, there is no migration path between our old and new syncStores. We have no specific process for “testing” the new Sync. Also, no – you can’t access the old syncStores with DEVONthink 2.9+.

31. jneumann says:

@PB: There is a spinner in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync. Also, Window > Activity shows Sync activity.

32. jneumann says:

@steve: This is not a support channel. Please start a Support Ticket at http://helpdesk.dvontechnologies.com. Also, remember to read DEVONthink’s Help, under the section “Taking your data with you”.

33. PB says:

@jneumann: I know about the Activity window, see my prev. comment. But: I see no “spinning” option in Preferences -> Sync…??

34. Christian says:

Hi,

My local library is 2,9 GB on disk. My internet connection is 15 mbps up. It took 30 seconds to upload all of it to iCloud. How is this possible? Is this some middle-out compression algorithm-stuff?

35. jneumann says:

The “spinner” is shown for a given database Syncing with a given Sync location. It’s not an option to turn On or Off.

36. […] tried this yet, as none of my permanent databases use indexed files or folders. According to a DEVONtechnologies blog post, with the syncing of indexed files and folders, “you can use DEVONthink 2.9 to synchronize […]

37. ROBERT POTTER says:

Dear Eric,

File this under “now what if”
    If I have 5 laptops to upload 5 new 2.9 sync databases to the mother ship (same hard drive) symultaneously then to distribute the 4 new databases from that hard drive to the lap tops, can that happen or am I asking for that hard drive to have a panic attack or better just have each lap top do it’s download in sequence. IF it was through dropbox, there would be a “file locking issue.”
    Thanks for all that y’all do
    Robert

38. Emory says:

So not explicitly stated, but I assume if we rely on sync with iOS, we should hold off until 2.0 is released for iOS, correct?

39. jneumann says:

@Emory: At this point, I would suggest you do wait for DTTG2. Thanks.

40. Dave says:

Is it recommended to use Selective Sync in Dropbox and turn off the Dropbox/Apps/DEVONthink Packet Sync folder? I’m thinking leaving it on would result in local duplicates…

41. Darren says:

Emory> if we rely on sync with iOS, we should hold off until 2.0 is released for iOS

jneumann> I would suggest you do wait for DTTG2. Thanks.

Thanks, @jneumann. Any ballpark ETA for DTTG2? 😉

42. jneumann says:

@Darren: Y’all should know better than that by now. Hahaha!
    Christmas is a-comin’ soon.

43. jneumann says:

@Dave: Yes, you should exclude the /Apps/DEVONthink Packet Sync folder from Dropbox. You don’t need it (and eventually, you won’t want it wasting bandwidth and chattering at you either!)

44. Jochen says:

Halleluja!

45. Jason says:

This is very exciting but without DTTG 2.0 it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference, does it? Because most people will be syncing with MOBILE devices. Generally speaking, when will DTTG be available that can work with this new sync functionality?

46. Peter says:

DTTG 2.0 Dropbox direct sync is fine, but what about Box syncing?

@ Peter: Box offers WebDAV and both DEVONthink 2.9 and DEVONthink To Go 2.0 come with a Box template for easy set-up.

48. Jason says:

@eboehnish: Am I missing something? DTTG 2.0 doesn’t seem available on the App Store.

@ Jason: You’re not missing anything. It is not — yet — available.

50. Jason says:

@eboehnish : Any word on when it will be? It seems premature to celebrate sync if it’s not yet syncing with mobile…

Also I’d be very happy to help beta test.