DEVONthink 2.9.2 and DEVONthink To Go 2.0.1

DEVONthink To Go running on an iPadAnother week, another update for DEVONthink. But this time we also have an update for DEVONthink To Go too. We’ve worked hard to make the synchronization on both platforms even more robust and enjoyable. For example you can now again connect securely to your own WebDAV server with self-signed certificates.

Both Mac and iOS versions come with detail enhancements too. On the Mac you can now quickly locate pending items by using smart groups or the advanced search, and sync all databases with one click.

DEVONthink To Go 2.0.1 uses less memory which reduces the likelihood that the app is terminated unexpectedly by iOS. Navigating databases is much faster too. The app badge shows the number of unread items (the badge can be disabled through the system’s Settings app at any time).

We recommend these free updates to all users. Get the new Mac versions directly by using the apps’ update function or our Download page. The iOS update will become available through the App Store as soon as it has passed Apple’s review.

39 Responses to “DEVONthink 2.9.2 and DEVONthink To Go 2.0.1”

1. Chad says:

Fantastic update!

Am I understanding correctly that Pending items are those that have been added/modified but have not synced yet? If so, I cannot get my smart folder to populate with any items. Maybe I’ve misunderstood?

2. Rouven says:

I can’t see the Update in the German AppStore …

What ‘s going wrong????

@ Rouven: Read carefully: “The iOS update will become available through the App Store as soon as it has passed Apple’s review.”

4. Rouven says:

Oh, I’m sorry….

Thanks for Information!!!

5. Jan says:

Thanks for the update. It certainly fixed the SSL certificate issue.

Unfortunately, it still doesn’t work for me. I reinstalled it to prove this still happens:

I connect a sync store (on my NAS), don’t choose automatic downloads (I prefer on demand loading) and then start syncing. At various points during the process, the app crashes without ever finishing the sync.
    I have 20k files to sync. It’s always a hard crash, the screen goes black and remains like that for 2-3 seconds before returning to the home screen.

So at the moment, the app is useless for me – and I’d really like to get rid of the alternatives :-/

Is the bug known?

@ Jan: Would you be available for a phone call early next week? I am based in Germany. If yes, please email me your phone number.

7. John Hardin says:

I’m loving this idea, but despite trying it all different ways, I cannot get Dropbox Sync to work (or even bonjpur for that fact…but I don’t care about bonjour). Help?

8. Daniel says:

The download does not work for me (estimated download time more than a day). Am I the only one?

@ Daniel: Which download? Have you tried to cancel and try again?

@ John Hardin: Please contact our user support (support(at)devontechnologies.com). Thank you!

11. Joonho Kim says:

Are you going to add the keyboard support to DTTG2?

@ Joonho Kim: What kind of keyboard would you like or expect to see?

13. Joonho Kim says:

Sorry, I should have written it clearly. Keyboard shortcut for formatting text would be very helpful (bold, italic, increasing/decresing size).

14. Frank says:

Both update work much better than before, especially being much faster. Unfortunately on the iPad (Pro 128GB) sync crashes with big amount of files (around 20000). I’m also not able to switch off the full download on each level of the database in DTTG2.

@ Frank: Regarding the crash during sync: Could you please share your database statistics (Mac) with us by email? We’re interesting in type of documents, database size, and word count. And regarding switching of full sync: Which aspect “doesn’t work”? Please send us email to dev_ios(at)devontechnologies.com. Thank you!

16. Alex says:

Thanks for your hard work on the new Sync functionalities. I’ve been waiting for this a long time and am very pleased to see it become reality! Unfortunately you didn’t include either ownCloud or OneDrive support explicitly. Are we safe to use them via local Sync stores or WebDAV?´

@ Alex: OneDrive via local sync store is fine unless you give it enough time to sync to the web sevice. WebDAV is always fine.

18. Mike says:

I’m a bit confused. The sync through Dropbox seems to work great. But I’m not actually seeing the database in Dropbox – it’s local on both computers. So am I right to understand that Dropbox is being used as a kind of passthrough without it being actually stored there?

@ Mike: The databases are stored in Apps/DEVONthink Packet Sync/.

20. Mike Jones says:

I see it now.
    So they are stored as encrypted on dropbox?

@ Mike Jones: I our own documentation is correct, yes 😊

22. Daniel says:

Hoi,

is there an option (planned) to sync to iOS devices directly via an USB cable? (Apps like GoodReaderUSB seem to manage to transfer files directly to an App when the device is connected via an USB cable.) Really not a fan of cloud services.

Best regards

Daniel

@ Daniel: We might look into this. But WiFi sync should do the trick well enough even for large databases.

24. Daniel says:

@eboehnisch

Thank you for the quick reply.

I still think USB does have advantages compared to WiFi. Might be a subjective-safety-objective-nonsense thing, but I don’t really feel comfortable transferring personal data via WiFi (speed and ease of use might be other factors).

25. Daniel says:

I’ve tried it several times – no success, I try to download the DEVONthink Pro Office 2.9.2 on the linked download page

@ Daniel: Have you tried with another browser or on another machine to rule out temporary issues with you computer or ISP?

27. Daniel says:

Worked I upgraded to El Capitan. Thanks.

28. tom says:

Can you please outline the process for turning a local Mac database into a Dropbox database?

It seems like the Mac still needs to store an UNENCRYPTED local database TOO, which is then synced to ENCRYPTED Dropbox?

Like this:
    ~/Documents/blah.dtBase (unencrypted)
    ~/Dropbox/Apps/Devonthink… (Encrypted)

This is unsafe and wastes space by doubling storage on the local machine. Is there some way to only have the encrypted dropbox database and not have any unencrypted data on the local computer at all?

Bonus question: Using dropbox selective sync I can tell Dropbox to not download “Apps/Devonthink” onto the mac, essentially making it a cloud-only folder to save space. Would that break Devonthinks sync? (Or perhaps you already only use the web api instead of relying on the local ~/Dropbox folder?)

So in short:
    how to avoid an unencrypted local database?
    How to avoid dual disk space waste when syncing to dropbox?

29. tom says:

And thank you for the hard work on the new sync. This is the most excited I have been about devonthink in ages. I may even but dttg2 for ios, if I can set up a secure and efficient dropbox sync first. 🙂

@ tom: That is correct, DEVONthink databases are always stored locally. The sync store on Dropbox is a syncable copy; DEVONthink is not a server-based concept. You can safely disable downloading Apps/DEVONthink, actually it’s recommended. We are using the SDK.

31. tom says:

Thanks, I successfully set up DEVONthink encrypted syncing, and then I bought the To Go 2 app. It is brilliant. The best way to enjoy DEVONthink so far! Seeing the iOS app makes me wish for a modern facelift for the desktop Mac app.

By the way… is there any chance you will add password-encrypted local Mac databases in the future? For now I am storing the local databases in an encrypted disk image but it’s a layer of clunkiness that you could remove if you wanted to. 😀

@ tom: As people also want to search databases from Spotlight having encrypted databases but a readable Spotlight index would contradict each other. We might have the option in the future though.

33. tom says:

Oh okay, I have never used the Spotlight feature and my main concern is that nobody can read my contracts and other top-secret documents. For now, a disk image it is… 🙂 In the future, maybe built-in AES-256 encryption which disables the spotlight index and randomizes all filenames? Well, it is a big task so you have to consider if it’s worth it. I think so. Protecting secrets is so necessary these days with thieves and hackers everywhere. 😉

34. Sung says:

Hi
    First of all, thank you devontechnology for all hard work for this.:)
    Experience of using this app is amazing. Sync works perfectly for me and new interface is beautiful.
    One thing that I really want you guys to polish is PDF annotation tool, especially drawing tool. I’m sure you guys have a plan to polish pdf function right? (Please say yes T-T)(apple pencil support please!!!T-T)

@ Sung: The PDF drawing tool is part of a third-party library. We will relay your suggestion to the team.

36. Perrin says:

I don’ manage to sync:
    when on the settings of devonthink togo , on the bonjour page I can’t activate connections.
    Could use some help

@ Perrin: Sure, please simply contact us at support(at)devontechnologies.com. Blog comments are not suitable for support.

38. Marc says:

I can’t wait to test all of these properly. It would be great if you guys would enable a very degradated way of accessing my stuff from a Windows computer. I spend more than all of my life sitting at a Windows computer at work, and I would be sold if I could access my data from there. No need for a full blown DTPO, just a viewer and a way to drop stuff in the inbox, and you would expand your audience a lot I think

@ Marc: The way to go here is DEVONthink Pro Office’s built-in web server which enables you to view and search your files from any Windows PC in the vicinity.