DEVONthink To Go 2.0

DEVONthink To Go running on an iPadIt’s done. After 15837 builds, 18 semi-public betas and six release candidates, DEVONthink To Go 2.0 is finally available in the iOS App Store*.

As promised, DEVONthink To Go 2.0 replaces the aged version 1.5.8 with a brand new app. We have rewritten it from scratch to take advantage of current iOS technologies and makes it more capable, faster, and more robust. It not only gives you a completely new user interface and a much enhanced feature set, with its next-generation sync you also get unprecedented flexibility. If you already own DEVONthink To Go 1.x, this update is free for you.

Here’s a short list of what’s new in DEVONthink To Go 2.0:

• Synchronize: Direct connections, Dropbox, WebDAV, full or metadata-only**
  • Organize: Move, replicate, duplicate, trash, group and ungroup, tag
  • Drag: Grid view with Mac-style drag-and-drop (iPad and iPhone Plus)
  • Convert: Many document can be converted to other formats
  • Create: Document assistant for creating new items
  • Search: Full-text search with advanced search language
  • Navigate: Predefined smart groups for many common use cases
  • Annotate: New PDF support including annotations**
  • Edit: New editor for rich text and formatted notes, Markdown editing and live rendering
  • View: Email and sheet viewer**
  • Capture: Enhanced Clip to DEVONthink

Learn more about what else is new in DEVONthink To Go 2.0 on its product page or in our news release.

* Due to the way Apple handles taxes on the App Store, DEVONthink To Go is not available in all countries. Please purchase in the US or EU store if it is not available for you in your country. We apologize for the inconveniences.

** Metadata-only sync, editing PDF annotations, and email and sheet viewing requires a $4.99 in-app purchase.

96 Responses to “DEVONthink To Go 2.0”

@ Andrew: At the moment you can’t. Apple’s iCloud implementation on iOS allows only Document Picker style access to single documents. As soon as we find a way we’ll add iCloud support.

@ Michael: We have iOS 9 Spotlight support but deactivated it because with tge large databases typical DEVONthink users have it jammed everything from RAM to disk space.

@ Daniel: Das ist ein Überbleibsel von Version 1.x. Das nächste Update wird den Zähler erst einmal auf Null setzen oder sinnvoll weiterverwenden.

@ Oliver: Yes, we have. What kind of Apple Pencil use would you expect the most?

5. Bill Sheehan says:

Speaking for myself, I’d love to be able to scribble a quick note to myself and annotate existing notes.

6. Michael says:

@eboehnisch ah, I see why now.

Perhaps my only hope is if apple allows the iOS 10 feature Continue Search In-App to be used as a boilerplate way to handoff the search string to DEVONthink. (Time to request the feature now while iOS 10 is in beta)

Like the Alfred search plugin, a user would have to type Devon for example and then their search terms. Then tap on the result which will open up the app and hold off the search to DEVONthink.

This might not be possible due to limitations currently.

Well, notes are plain text or HTML. Hard to add metadata such as scribbles in a compatible way.

We’ll definitely dive into iOS 10 when the first few rounds of bugfixing are through. Thanks for the link!

9. Kostas says:

Hi, is there a way to get the “copy page link” function on devonthink to go?

Sure. Simply long-tap the document. Choose “Item Link” from the menu.

11. Oliver says:

Hallo,

wie ich sehe kann ich auf auf deutsch schreiben: Ich würde gerne gänzlich auf Apps wie OneNote verzichten. Dazu wäre ich für die Möglichkeit dankbar handschriftliche Notizen in DevonThink zu speichern und dazu benötige ich den Einsatz des Apple Pencils.

VG Oliver

12. Tsai Chen says:

Hi! Congratulations on the update! I have previously purchased original Devonthink to go in Taiwan App store. It also means that I am not able to take advantage of the free upgrade for the existing Devonthink to go user. Is it a permanent situation, which means that I have to go to the US store and purchase the updated version? Or it there a way for me to get the free update? Thank you.

We are currently re-investigating the tax situation. It’s pretty unclear but we hope to resolve is sooner than later.

14. Joerg says:

After two days of heavy work with DTGO I am still simply impressed. No crash so far, everything seems to be rocksolid. Even fine details like the Clipper are working flawlessly. Surprisingly the sync to MagentaCloud tooks less time on my iPhone than on my iPad (iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2). The iPad shows “Vorbereiten”, or preparation, a lot longer than the iPhone. Not an issue at all, but a little bit confusing.

If I am allowed to have one single wish for the upcoming releases: It would be tremendously helplful to enable DTGO as a document container. Having that feature would avoid creating duplicates but would let editing the originals directly from e. g. Word, Excel or PowerPoint.

15. Philip Holloway says:

Hi, when you write a new tag is there anyway to see the existing ones so I don’t do type oops

When you add a tag a little popover menu should appear proposing existing tags.

17. Akimo says:

Vielen vielen Dank an den Entwickler / das Entwicklerteam. Ich habe seit fast einem halben Jahr nahezu jeden Tag den Blog auf dieser Seite besucht, um zu erfahren, wann es endlich so weit ist … Eine hervorragendes Stück Software ist da gelungen. Vor allem die x-callback-Verlinkung zu omnifocus ist genial.

18. Hendrik says:

Thanks so much!! Works great, so happy that I can finally work with my documents wherever I am.
    Perhaps I have found a glitch: for indexed folders, tags that have been added vie DTG2 don’t appear as tags in the finder. When I add a tag to an indexed file in DT2.9 and click in menu on “actualize indexed object” (having german version, don’t know exact menu-command-name) only those tags added by desktop version are updated and appear in FinderTags, not those tags added via DTG2 and synced back to DT2.9. Do you have same issue?

19. Sven says:

I just found out about DevonThink through the iOS app, which I like a lot. Any chances of including Spotlight sync and maybe support for external keyboards on the iPad. That would make the app even better.

20. jneumann says:

Thansk! I’m not sure what you mean by “Spotlight Sync”, and Bluetooth keyboards should already be supported.

21. Sven says:

Shoot! My brain is still on vacation. Meant to say: Spotlight integration/search 😉

@ Sven: We had full Spotlight integration during the beta phase. But with the large databases that typical DEVONthink users have it brought iOS down to its knees. We might bring it back in a cut-down version in a 2.x release.

23. Oliver says:

Hello,

When do you think you will add Apple Pencil support?

Thanks, Oliver

@ Oliver: Bug fixes first, then new features. Sorry 🙂

@ Hendrick: Finder tags will be updated but not immediately. Future versions might improve this behavior.

26. Trubado says:

Just wondering if there’s a way to create a single page view, as opposed to the double page that seems to be the default. Thanks.

@ Troubado: Not at the moment. But you will see improvements to the PDF component over time.

28. Jan says:

That new DT2G looks awesome.
    I bought it since I’m really looking forward to using it.

There is a minor problem, though. I have my SyncStore on my NAS (Synology). The certificate is created by the NAS itself, so it’s often interpreted as possibly false (also in DT2G). Because of that, the SyncStore isn’t initialized, I don’t have the option to view and perhaps accept the SSL certifcate anyway.

Is there a solution to that?

29. Kostas says:

we also need to be able to see the table of contents of the pdf!

@ Jan: DEVONthink 2.9.2 and DEVONthink To Go 2.0.1 fix this (see today’s announcement; DEVONthink To Go 2.0.1 is still in the review queue, though, should you ask).

31. Rodney says:

Does DTTG 2.x support the native resolution of the 12.9 iPad Pro?

@ Rodney: Yes, it does.

33. Bill Sheehan says:

It certainly does on mine.

34. Matthew R. X. Dentith says:

Hi. I purchased DTTG 1.x on the New Zealand app store, and am keen to upgrade to 2.x. However, it is not available on the NZ store at this time (due to the tax issue), which means I cannot get my free upgrade. Do you have a work around for this?

35. Ruslan says:

When do you think the app would be available outside of US and EU app stores?
    If it is never going to be available to other countries’ stores, this is a deal breaker for me, i rely too much on my phone / tablet to use DT without them.

@ Ruslan: We want to re-enable it world-wide as soon as possible.

37. Phil says:

Minor request here, but vertical PDF scrolling would be nice.

Looking more forward to Apple Pencil support for PDF annotation (i.e., highlighting). Great app.

38. jneumann says:

Noted and thanks for the kind words!

39. Rich Parker says:

When I clip a web page on my iPhone 6s Plus to DEVONthink To Go 2, and I select web archive, the document that appears in my inbox is labeled untitled. How can I get the web archive to have the name of the article I am clipping as the title it uses when it puts it in my inbox? I can easily go to my inbox and rename it but it a painfully long process if I am clipping a lot of articles.

40. Trubado says:

I know this is probably a big request, but I’m wondering if there’s a chance that this (incredible) annotation script might be incorporated into DEVONthink To Go 2.0:

Annotation Pane (Annotation with Links, Notes, Tags v3)

Discussed here:

It would make this go from a good to…an *amazing* app. Thanks very much.

@ Rich Parker: It works here. Does the title of the page appear in Clip to DEVONthink before you actually send it direction DEVONthink To Go?

@ Trubado: Very unlikely we’re afraid. There’s nothing like AppleScript on iOS. And iPad is not a Mac.

43. Trubado says:

Ok, thanks. Let me ask you this quick follow up: Is there any way to add tags from DTTP-annotated documents that would include annotations to said tags (in the way that the “Annotation with Links, Notes, Tags v3” script provides) ? If not, do you have any ideas or suggestions — including any work around solutions? Thanks.

BTW, I’m still hoping that future editions of DTTP will create a single page view, as opposed to the double page that seems to be the default. It’s just much more difficult to read, navigate and annotate documents in that double page view.

44. Peter Norman says:

Regarding Apple Pencil support: Markup of documents saved to DevonThink would be excellent.

For example: an article clipped from the web. PDFs are probably the most commonly requested format but marking up a clipped webpage would be very useful: primarily highlighting text but making notes in the margin or drawing arrows to indicate a margin note for a highlighted sentence.

If Devonthink first must duplicate the content of a clipped item into a new Pencil-supported format then that would be entirely acceptable.

We see how the Apple Pencil makes sende for annotating documents. We will explore the possibilities for future releases of DEVONthink To Go.

46. […] somras blev det möjligt när Devonthink släppte en ny, kraftigt uppdaterad version av sina iOS-appar. Och därmed var det också dags att ge Devonthink en rejäl […]