DEVONthink 2.9.3 and DEVONthink To Go 2.0.2

Clip to DEVONthinkWe know how important a robust sync is. And so here’s another maintenance release for both DEVONthink for Mac as well as DEVONthink To Go. We’ve made synchronizing to e.g. WebDAV or Dropbox up to 3.7 times faster. Direct connections via the local network are more reliable now too and during a sync you can see which database is being synchronized.

On the Mac side DEVONthink now shows if there are unsynchronized changes and truncates sync location names in the middle instead of at the end. And because that’s not enough we’ve thrown in Airmail 3 support for sending documents and better drag-and-drop to third-party applications like Tinderbox.

DEVONthink To Go 2.0.2 supports multiple Dropbox sync stores and is much less likely to get killed by iOS for memory usage when synchronizing larger databases or databases with very large documents. It’s also much faster when navigating groups, counting items, deleting databases, or updating the full-text index. Finally, we’ve enhanced the Clip to DEVONthink share extension so that it now works with any provided file format. It cleans up webarchives with Instapaper and Markdown with Readability, too, if you want.

We recommend these free updates to all users. Get the new Mac versions directly by using the apps’ update function or our Download page. The iOS update will become available through the App Store as soon as it has passed Apple’s review.

29 Responses to “DEVONthink 2.9.3 and DEVONthink To Go 2.0.2”

1. Andreas says:

From the release notes of DTPO 9.3:
    “…allows to send documents via AirMail3”

How will this work? On my iMac AirMail3 is installed but DTPO will send furthermore only via Apple Mail.

2. Joerg says:

Uff, I have just installed 2.9.3 and now I receive a message that the authentification with MagendaCloud fails. It worked perfectly on minute before the update, and immediately stopped after. Any idea what went wrong? Credentials are correct, I am properly able to log in via the website.

3. darwin says:

Here the same with MagentaCloud after updating.

@ Joerg & darwin: Thank you for reporting. We’ll provide a fix tomorrow.

5. Sylvain Cottong says:

Hi,
    After updating to 2.9.3 on my 3 computers I get the error message “Can’t upload database due to pending files” in the log ???

6. Sylvain Cottong says:

forgot to add that I’m using Dropbx sync.

@ Sylvain: The error message means that your database has pending files, e.g. files maybe synchronized ‘shallowly’ from another source. You can find the culprits with a smart group searching for Instance is Pending & Instance is not Indexed.

8. Peter says:

Regarding DEVONthink Safari Clip Extention – I have version 1.2.6 installed. Is it newer version?

@ Peter: That is the current version.

10. darwin says:

WARNING: Found the new Update 2.9.4, try to update my DTPO, but it crashed in the end of updating and I can‘t open DTPO again, it’s damaged. The Icon in the Dock disappeared.

@ darwin: Just trash the app and re-download manually from our website. Probably just a download that went wrong.

12. Joerg says:

Have also updated DTPO and it worked. Sync issue has been resolved, too.

13. darwin says:

Okay, I try.

14. darwin says:

Yeah, it’s back again. Sorry for the warnings, but such a thing never happened in ten years. I was a little shocked.
    I deleted my warnings in the forum.

15. darwin says:

After Updating to 2.9.4. I still have the probs with MagentaCloud. Protocol still says: Can’t authentificate.

@ darwin: Could you please open a support ticket for this issue? See our notice below the reply field. Thanks.

17. Randy Stokes says:

I updated to 2.9.4 and still don’t see a way to move Airmail 3 messages into DTPO. Please let us know how to do that.

18. Marc says:

Hi,

just testing this sweet environment. I currently end up with my iOS device with no trace of my data, after a successful setup of Dropbox sync on both my MBA and my iPhone 6. Are by any chance indexed files not available on mobile devices?

19. Jacob Gorban says:

I had some problems after updating to DTToGo 2.0.2. I’m using 4 synced databases of Dropbox.

First of all, DTToGo would get stuck and kicked out after a couple of first launches on both the iPhone and iPad. I rebooted the iPhone and then it started merging and on iPad, it started on the third try, after a little pause.

Secondly, both my iOS devices give this message “Can’t upload database due to pending files”. Not sure how to re-enable syncing.

On DTPO, I created the smart group that you suggested “Instance is Pending & Instance is not Indexed”. It’s clear. And in any case, what you wrote doesn’t explain how to deal with it. On iOS, I couldn’t find a way to create such a smart group in any case.

How to fix it from here?

20. Joerg says:

Since upgrading to 2.0.2 I get the message “Kann Datenbank wegen austehender Inhalte nicht hochladen” Already deleted the app from the iPhone and reinstalled, however, the problem occurs again. Any idea what’s wrong? The first sync works, data is downloaded properly, but afterwards no chance to get it synced again.

21. Sylvain Cottong says:

@joerg: same for me.

The ‘pending files’ issue unfortunately didn’t surface even in our beta tests. We have just sent a bug-fix release to Apple which is now waiting for the App Store review. Sorry for the inconveniences! See also our separate post.

@ Randy Stokes: The Airmail 3 support allows you to send messages via Airmail. It’s does not implement importing messages from Airmail 3. See the release notes.

24. Marc says:

Further on my previous report, I can now add that when I click on the little cloud down on the app, the process gets stuck in “Preparing” state.

One doubt: if ever I get to fix the problem, will my indexed files be available on the go?

25. Joerg says:

Since yesterday in the evening I get again constantly the message that authentifcation fails. Had this behaviour with 2.9.3, seemed to be fixed with 2.9.4. Re-Checked the credentials by logging directly into MagentaCloud, works. Any idea?

@ Joerg: No, sorry. Can you send us email from within DEVONthink To Go so that we can have a look at the logs? Thank you.

27. Joerg says:

@Eric: It is not a problem with DTTGO, but with Devon Think Pro Office on my Mac. What kind of information should I provide?

@ Joerg: The logs from ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Cloudy/. And I’d like to invite you to read the note in red below the comment field here in the blog. Thank you.