Tuesday Tip: Two for one windows

Support tickets sometimes present new ideas. And sometimes they rekindle old ones from the back burner. I recently had a ticket from someone who wanted to open a document in two windows at once. Out of the box, DEVONthink will open a document in a new window, but only one. The only other option is to view the document in its own window, as well as in the main database window. That would work but it didn’t seem as elegant as I wanted it to be. So, about half an hour later, another custom Applescript was finished — one that would open the same document in two windows, placed side by side on the screen.

The client wanted to view a PDF in two windows so he could look at different non-consecutive pages at the same time. Perhaps, you want to open something you’re writing so you can edit in one window while looking at the document without the changes in the second window. Another example is Markdown. I do like writing Markdown in DEVONthink. However, the only way to see the rendered HTML is to switch the view (see View > Best Alternative). This is fine but for on-the-fly editing I wanted to edit and see it rendered side by side. This script allows me to do that with one window in Editing mode and the other in rendered mode.

The script also opens two selected documents side-by-side and if you have a document with an associated annotation, the annotation will attempt to be located and opened with the original in side-by-side windows. Hopefully this comes in handy in ways I may not have even imagined!

DEVONthink Pro and Pro Office owners, install the AppleScript directly within the application from Scripts > More Scripts.

(Note: Copy in the documents in the screencapture from http://www.unexpected-vortices.com/sw/rippledoc/quick-markdown-example.html. No infringements intended.)

12 Responses to “Tuesday Tip: Two for one windows”

1. Pawel says:

Is the link to the script missing or is it just me? 🙂

2. @ Pawel, @Frank: In the text it says: DEVONthink Pro and Pro Office owners, install the AppleScript directly within the application from Scripts > More Scripts. 😉

3. Frank says:

Sounds like a really useful AppleScript, but where can I download it?

4. Frank says:

I cannot read, just like some other commenters… You find the script in the app: “directly within the application from Scripts > More Scripts”.

5. Pawel says:

Ahh – sorry! Got it! 🙂

6. Pinakpani Roy says:

@Eric Böhnisch-Volkmann: This is a very helpful script. Thank you!

7. Cassady says:

Hi – I’m missing something.

After installing through the Scripts/More Scripts window, the new script does not appear any the Scripts dropdown menu. Opening Scripts/More Scripts again, and it allows me to install it again (it no longer says “Remove”).

Restarting DTPO doesn’t do the trick – must I restart my machine and try?

8. Jim Neumann says:

A machine restart shouldn’t be required but it’s always a good option to try.

9. sotospeak says:

I, too, had to reboot the machine in order for the script “Open in two windows” to stay and eventually work. –> The installed script is actually to be found under the scripts-Menu–>”Edit”–>”Open in two windows”. —–> this information seems to be missing in the original blog-post.

And yet: There seems to be a bug (although the script eventually works). Whenever I go to the scripts-Menu–>”More Scripts …” it displays an “Install”-option underneath the script “Open in two windows” although the script is already installed and working.

Maybe Erik or Jim could kindly look at this.

10. Please try to remove it manually by opening the Scripts folder. Then install again from the assistant. It should work now.

11. Please try to remove it manually by opening the Scripts folder. Then install again from the assistant. It should work now. We had named it incorrectly on our server.

12. sotospeak says:

Now I can confirm that it both works beautifully and at the same time is permanently shown as “installed”. Thanks, Eric!