Until we officially add genuine trash can functionality to DEVONthink, here’s a quick-and-dirty workaround:
- Download the trash can icon and unzip it. You’ll get a folder that looks like the Mac OS X trash can.
- Open your database.
- Create a new group.
- Name it “— Trash Can” (use Option-Shift-Hyphen for the long dash; makes the group always appear at the end of the list of groups).
- Switch back to the Finder, select the downloaded ‘trash can folder’, and choose File > Get Info.
- Select the icon in the Info panel and copy it to the clipboard (Edit > Copy).
- Switch back to DEVONthink, select the trash can group, and choose Tools > Show Info to open DEVONthink’s Info panel.
- Select the group’s icon and paste the trash can picture over it (Edit > Paste). Done.
While this new ‘trash can’ does not react on the delete commands or features an Empty Trash command, it’s a convenient place to drag files you don’t need anymore. Simply visit it from time to time and delete the files you really want to shred.