A recent Twitter post asked a question about turning on and off the WebSharing server in DEVONthink Pro Office. It was assuming a need for an AppleScript or Keyboard Maestro routine. Well, it’s not AppleScriptable (outside of UI scripting, which I don’t advocate) and Keyboard Maestro is more than is needed for this task.
- Open System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and select App Shortcuts.
- Click the Plus (+) button and select DEVONthink Pro Office in the Application dropdown. (If it’s not listed, scroll down to Other… and browse to it.)
- In the Menu Title, type Start Server.
- In the Keyboard Shortcut, enter a memorable shortcut (noting you need to make sure it’s not going to conflict with other built-in shortcuts). I used Control-Option-=.
- Add another shortcut but use Stop Server and use the same exact shortcut!
When you return to DEVONthink Pro Office, you can check the Tools menu and you should see either Start or Stop Server options with the shortcut to the right. Pressing the shortcut will now toggle the server from on to off and back.
With a little ingenuity, you likely can find other apps and menus to apply this trick to.