DEVONthink adds iCloud sync

iCloud synchronizationSychronization via iCloud was the no. 1 feature request on our list. And here we go: DEVONthink 2.10 and DEVONthink To Go 2.6 let you keep your databases in sync via iCloud and without entering anything except for the optional encryption password. No messing around with sync store names, server addresses, or login credentials. Add the iCloud sync location, check off the databases you want to sync, done. It can’t be any easier.

In addition DEVONthink on both platforms synchronizes your changes when you switch to another app and, on the Mac, also when you quit it. On iOS, DEVONthink To Go continues to sync in the background as long as iOS permits and gets changes from time to time also when it’s not in the foreground. Deactivate temporarily unused sync locations, just like on the Mac.

Other improvements in DEVONthink 2.10 for Mac:

• Add pages to PDFs by dragging them to the thumbnail bar
  • Archive email including attachments from Apple Mail with two new scripts
  • Import, filter, and export email more reliably
  • Deal better with some misbehaving scanners

DEVONthink To Go 2.6 also brings these enhancements:

• Search directly from the database screen
  • Browse item lists showing up to three lines for title and details
  • Keep groups sorted to the top
  • Quickly find office and text documents with two new global smart groups
  • Set flags and labels from Workflow using the “update” URL command

We recommend these free updates to all users. Get them directly by using the apps’ update function or from our Download page. For DEVONthink To Go or if you purchased DEVONthink or DEVONnote in the App Store, update your copy through the App Store app or receive the update automatically, depending on your App Store settings.

33 Responses to “DEVONthink adds iCloud sync”

1. Andreas says:

Great News!

Thanks a lot!

2. rfog says:

you did it!

Oh, men, you are great!

3. Peter Norman says:

Thank-you VERY much for the new iCloud Sync! I’m looking forward to setting it up! ( I’ve been using Dropbox Sync since it was introduced and its been very reliable and robust – on both my Mac and iOS devices.)

4. Luuk says:

That is fantastic! Thanks a lot, works effortlessly!

5. Rebecca says:

LOVE THIS!! Thank you so much!!

6. debonairhair says:

iOS already had a option to “Backup to iCloud”. Is the backup to iCloud option basically a unencrypted backup of everything to iCloud and now obsolete with the new iCloud sync?

7. Jim Neumann says:

@debonairhair: iCloud syncing is not a backup. It is neither advertised or intended as such. It is for sharing DEVONthink databases between devices running DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go.
    Backup to iCloud in iOS is unrelated and only used for restoring a mobile device.

8. Jim Neumann says:

et al: Thanks for all the kind words and support!

9. Joshua Hamilton says:

Oh boy, thanks! I’ve been just over my freebie limit at Dropbox, and I’ve been paying each month for a Dropbox account that goes almost completely unused. Meanwhile, I’ve got a shared family plan for iCloud storage and gigabytes to spare, so this update is gonna save me real money. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

10. P Roy says:

Thank you to the team for this update. Other than the ease of use, what is the benefit of new iCloud sync over the existing Dropbox one? Does this allow DTTG to sync in the background when the device is locked, for example?

11. Jim Neumann says:

iCloud sync is not meant as a “replacement” for Dropbox, etc. syncing. iCloud is present on all Apple devices. It is the simplest sync to set up in DEVONthink. The storage rates are reasonable. Beyond that, there is no inherent “advantage”. And no, you cannot sync while the device is locked, with ANY sync option.

12. Martin says:

Thanks for continuing to improve this irreplaceable app!

13. Christopher says:

I was syncing on Dropbox and have now switched to iCloud. However, my space usage on Dropbox, mostly from DEVONthink databases, seems the same; after looking around I have discovered a folder on Dropbox (a folder that is invisible in the Finder) with the name DEVONthink Packet Sync. Can I delete this folder since I am no longer syncing via Dropbox?

14. Yes, that’s the sync store and if you no longer need it on any of your devices you can safely delete it.

15. Bonazzi says:

Is there someone who has already changed the sync method to iCloud with better performance than Dropbox? Thanks

16. @ Bonazzi: From our experiments the performance should be roughly the same as with Dropbox. Just the up- and downloading takes place in the background, DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go just come into play when the data has arrived.

17. P Roy says:

@Jim Neumann: Thank you for the clarification.

Huge thanks to all of you for continuing to improve what to me is already the best piece of software in the Apple ecosystem.

18. Matt Auton says:

OK great,

How do I get it to work? What is the encryption key? All I see is a global inbox, where are my databases?

19. Jim Neumann says:

@Matt: This is not a Support channel. Please head over to https://www.devontechnologies.com/redirect.php?id=support for online help options. Thanks!

20. Renaud Savignard says:

I was stuck with sync issues, Alleluja !! Thanks

21. Christopher says:

@Eric Böhnisch-Volkmann: thanks for confirming that.

22. Flex says:

This is great news, thank you very much!

23. Tamoor says:

I had been using Dropbox to sync between my desktop and iPhone. Worked flawlessly. I thought I would give the new iCloud sync a try. No problem syncing to the store from the desktop (5 databases). I only had 3 of them on the iPhone. These 3 synced no problem, but the other did not show up as remote. I went back to Dropbox sync and sure enough, the other 2 were showing up as remote. I wanted all 5 on my iPhone, so I am sticking with Dropbox for now. Has anybody else come across this issue?
    PS Not looking for support, this is just an observation of the new service.

24. Jim Neumann says:

@Tamoor: This would be better asked on our Forums or Support Ticket system.

25. Jon says:

This was the make-or-break feature for me. Finally I can fully commit to DEVONthink as my go-to app.

I have paid iCloud storage so it was terrible paying for an additional file storage subscription (Dropbox) for just this one app. Thank you!

26. Jim Neumann says:

You’re welcome but bear in mind, iCloud is only for personal syncing. If you have need of collaborative syncing, another option will have to be used.

27. James says:

iCloud sync that works with iOS – I have been waiting for this ever since I first bought the app! Fantastic news 🙂

28. James C. says:

Wondering if this means that we can delete our local database in DEVONthink Pro Office once we have everything syncing to iCloud…? In any case, thank you for finally expanding iCloud Sync to DEVONthink To Go. You are correct – it was a highly desired innovation.

29. Jim Neumann says:

No. Your databases are not stored in iCloud. Sync data is. You will always have data local to the devices.

30. Somchai says:

With the previous way of syncing with iCloud there was the creation of a DEVONthink Packet Sync folder on the iCloud Drive. With this new option, where are the files actually stored? Are they hidden somewhere on the iCloud? Is it safe to delete the DEVONthink Packet Sync folder on iCloud when switching over to this new iCould syncing method?

31. Jim Neumann says:

They are stored in a location outside the iCloud Drive folder. It’s generally inaccessible and there’s nothing you could do with that data anyways. And yes, you can delete the DEVONthink Packet Sync folder in iCloud Drive, as it isn’t used with iCloud sync.

32. Evan RIcks says:

iCloud sync is better than you think!

Comparing dropbox Jim Neumann wrote:
    — Beyond that, there is no inherent “advantage”. —

True for most cases, unless of course you happen to live in China which blocks any service they can grow domestically. So dropbox has been blocked for years now and I’ve been syncing thru CloudMe webdav while also paying for 2Tb on iCloud (there are too many iphones here to block it, but you never know). I’m so happy and relieved to be moving sync to iCloud (my first sync here was VERY fast). Sorry CloudMe.

Now if I could only convince the Scrivener folks to do the same.

33. Jim Neumann says:

Glad to hear it’s proving especially beneficial for you!