Tuesday Tip: Read it later in DEVONthink

Sometimes you have a need to store a bookmark but have no time to read it now. One option is to use an online service like Pocket. Another option is to add the bookmarks to Safari’s Reading List. But maybe you want to keep these items in your DEVONthink database. Here’s one way to do it:

In a DEVONthink database create a group to house your bookmarks. Drag this folder to the Favorites section of DEVONthink’s sidebar. This will give you quick access to the group. Then from your browser, use drag-and-drop or the Clip to DEVONthink extension to add bookmarks to the group in Favorites. Also, if you’re browsing the web in DEVONthink, you can drag links from the page without having to visit them first.

If this database is syncing with other devices running DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go, you will have access to this group to read at your leisure on each of your devices.

12 Responses to “Tuesday Tip: Read it later in DEVONthink”

1. Mark Lyon says:

Good. Eliminate Instapaper as the middle man. I never thought of this. Just saved to Instapaper and periodically download unread articles to DTDP.

2. Hugo says:

Great tip! I’ve been using it for a while now. Makes it really convenient to read websites/articles on my Mac.

I find that for DEVONthink To Go I am better off using a Tag. I don’t know how to make a specific group show up as a favorite in my phone, so I just use a @Reading tag for reading material I import into DEVONthink. Works really well since I get online material and offline materials like PDFs all the time.

3. Jim Neumann says:

@Hugo: Right-swipe a group in DTTG and choose Add to Favorites. This can be accessed in the Favorites smart group in DTTG’s Home screen (though you may need to press Edit at the top to add it).

4. Ian Crosby says:

This is not a very useful tip because Favorites don’t sync between desktop and mobile. Better just to save links to the global inbox marked as unread, and use the unread smart group to come back to them from any device.

5. Jim Neumann says:

Actually, it is incredibly simple to manually add Favorites in DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go. Also, we have plenty of Users who don’t sync their Global Inboxes between devices.

6. Ian Crosby says:

OK, so you can manually recreate your favorites on your iOS device, but how can you send URLs for items to read later to the folder that you have now manually added to it? The Clip to DEVONthink share item only sends things to the inboxes, and you can’t share URLs to folders in Files from Safari or Chrome, and Favorites doesn’t show up in Files anyway. What am I missing?

7. @Ian Crosby: You can add any group in DEVONthink To Go to Files’ Favorites by making them a favorite in Files. iOS doesn’t allow apps to manipulate Files’ Favorites so you have to do it there.

8. Ian Crosby says:

Sure, but to what end, since you can’t save URLs to Files from Safari or Chrome?

9. @Ian Crosby: And what about saving the URL via Clip to DEVONthink to your global inbox and moving them from there to your favored reading list group.

10. Ian Crosby says:

Why would I go to the trouble of clipping to my inbox, switching to the DEVONthink app, opening my inbox, and moving what I just clipped to another folder instead of just using my inbox as a reading folder, or clipping to an app like Instapaper in a single step? I love the app and use it for almost everything, but remain unpersuaded about the usefulness of this tip. A better approach might be to make the target locations in the clipper configurable.

11. @Ian Crosby: Another idea that just comes to mind is dragging URLs in split-screen mode from Safari to DEVONthink To Go. And, of course, the tip is mainly targeted at Mac users as iOS’ workflows are still a bit clumsy here.

12. Ian Crosby says:

Split screen is not available on iPhone and it is still too much work relative to other available options. Great app, glad to be a paying customer, and I hope you will think about ways to streamline this use case as you continue to improve it on iOS. Cheers!